Amp preamp impedance matching...can anyone explain?

Hi, I currently have vintage tube gear, but want to try a SS amp with my tube preamp, and may try a SS preamp with my tube amps. I have noted there is an impedance matching issue, but do not understand it. Can anybody provide a quick summary?
Thanks
Jim
river251
I would like to add another factor to the discussion.

The ratio of 10/1, while ballpark, may not be the only factor if the solid state device uses operational amplifiers in the output stage. Many opamps have output impedances well below 1K, but if you try to drive a 10K load with these (particularly at voltages over 1 V RMS), you can often get flat, lifeless sound performance. Of course, the results also depend on the type of opamp used. Some are better than others.

For opamp driven output stages I suggest an imput impedance of 47K or higher, with output voltages below 1-2V if possible, irrespective of output impedance.
We have been talking ratios of pre-out to power-in as 1:10, 1:50, 1:75 or absolute numbers as 47,000 ohm.

Is there a limit to how high these ratios or the power-in should go, before it sounds bad?

I am a layman asking this... Thank you
Is there a limit to how high these ratios or the power-in should go, before it sounds bad?
No, not that I can envision.

Regards,
-- Al
As a simple rule of thumb most any transistor preamp can drive any tube amp.

Its not always the other way 'round as pointed out above. (FWIW we get around the problem by direct-coupling and using paralleled tube sections to obtain a low output impedance that can drive any amp around.)

But if there are coupling caps its a different ballgame. For example, ARC recommends no less than 30K as the input impedance of the amplifier with which the Ref 5 is used.

10:1 is a safe minimum value, but you can go 100:1 and its fine. So in the ARC example above, standard engineering practice suggests that the output impedance of the Ref 5 is 3K ohms. However they are fairly conservative and are showing 600 ohms on their website, although that might be at 1KHz. IMO the 20Hz output impedance tells the real story.

The lower the output impedance, the more the line section can control the interconnect- by that I mean the less sonic attributes the cable will have. So the lower you can get the output impedance, the better (all other things being equal...).
I am really learning a lot from you guys. Thanks.

I was just playing with the thought on the different types of power-amps that my preamp of 20 ohms output, can be connected to! Seems like it will be alright. ;)