Please help a noob

First off, I'll try to Reader's Digest this as much as possible.

I'm looking to set up a simple 2 channel reference system. And by reference I mean something small-ish that will be used primarily in the near-field as a critical listening set-up in a relatively small room which I plan on doing some acoustic treatments in as well.

I work in the car audio industry (yeah, I know, never get as good in a car, etc. and I agree) What I am looking for is a system that I can both use as a reference tool for work related things (be able to have a good baseline for what things are supposed to sound like so I can use that knowledge for systems I build at work) and also recreational listening. Source will likely be 80% iPod (lossless or wav) and 20% CD.

I have been reading all over the place and am just overwhelmed with all the options. My current hangups are integrated vs. separate, and then options beyond that.

I don't have a tone of $ to work with. I'd like to keep the preamp/amp portion of this in the $700-$850 ish range.

Finally, I have the option to buy Parasound New Classic products new at a very good price. My main question I guess is Parasound New Classic 2100 pre + either New Classic 275 or 2125 or look at used in which I've been looking at Parasound HCA amps and P/LD 1100 pre. Also, the used option opens up things like NAD, Rotel, etc.

Like I said, looking for input on this front from people in the know because I feel somewhat lost. Sorry for the rambling, and thanks for any input!

-Adam
diamondjoequimby
Adam, good to have you on-board, welcome!

You might want to investigate Emotiva's offerings - good stuff for reasonable money. They have a very good preamp available, the USP-1, and their power amps have gotten great reviews. Check out the USP-2 and, for more money, the XPA-2. They also have some killer multi-channel stuff, too. See Emotiva.com...

Best Wishes,

-RW-
Since you need a good DAC for your iPod and you are on a budget, I would strongly consider something like the Audiolab 8200 CDQ, which combines a CD player, DAC and preamp and has received outstanding reviews. You would then need an iPod dock like the Wadia or new Onkyo that sends the digital signal directly to the Audiolab's DAC. I think the Audiolab is in the neighborhood of $1500, but that includes a CD player, DAC and preamp. I think the Onkyo dock is around $200. You'll still need a power amp and speakers, of course, but I have no idea what your total budget is.
a simple 2 channel reference system. And by reference I mean something small-ish that will be used primarily in the near-field as a critical listening set-up in a relatively small room which I plan on doing some acoustic treatments in as well.
I'm going to suggest a different route. Given that you are using a digital source primarily (lossless and .wav files) and are looking for a very transparent system for a small room you way want try a the NHT M00 monitors ($550-600 new) their passive volume control ($120 new) or even a higher quality passive pre-amp. You're gonna want to bypass the ipod dac (unless you have a DAC/dock (hey, did I just invent a new buzzword???) and take digital files from a server or laptop via an HRT MusicStreamer II+ or other asynch USB DAC. Total cost for the M00s, DAC & passive volume controller new would be about $1K. They have pretty good bass output by themselves or you can add a powered sub. NHT no longer makes the matching S00 sub but you're not tied to that one or you can probably find one on fleabay. The speakers are compact and designed to be used in the near or mid-field. Very neutral, can play VERY LOUD w/o distortion and IMO, non-fatiguing.
Hi Diamondjoequimby, Watts cost money and quality amplifiers capable of driving speakers with demanding loads can get expensive. Therefore, one of the best things you can do to control costs, is to choose a speaker that is easy on your amplifier. With that in mind, I recommend shopping for speakers first.