ARC's new REF-75

I read Paul Bolin's review of the new REF-75 in AudioBeat and was really taken by it. So, this past weekend I drove down to Newport Beach and attended The S.H.O.W. to take a listen. In spite of the room being a bit bright, I could clearly hear the advantages this amp offers.

The REF-75 is physically beautiful with a kind of retro look. Must have been the meters. I love the looks of this amp! I placed my hand on top of the amp and it was barely warm to the touch. It runs really cool in spite of not having fans. Another advantage ... no fans ... no fan noise.

Right off the bat, the REF-75 was so grain-less, it was simply amazing. The sound comes out of a perfectly black background and the inner detail is amazing with great decay on vocals and simple instrumentals. I love classical guitar and small jazz groups, so this is right up my alley. Vocals were amazingly clear and realistic as well because of the lack of grain. Separation of instruments is another VERY strong point of the REF-75, adding realism to orchestral music. Tonality is one of the first things I listen for ... and this amp is right up there with the best of the ARC amps, including the big REF Monos. The demonstration was made using Wilson Shasha speakers ... 87db, and the meters hardly moved at all even while listening to full orchestral music. The darned thing just coasted no matter what was thrown at it. So, dynamics are terrific ... the amp supposedly uses the same power supply as that in the REF-110, so that would account for the dynamics and particularly good bass punch and depth. Huge sound stage as well. Width, depth and height were more than expected ... in fact, huge in every way.

The REF-75 I listened to at the SHOW was a prototype, but based upon what I heard, I'm buying one later this month. I've owned and/or listened to a lot of ARC amps over the years, and I can say without reservations, that this is one of the very best amps ARC has ever done. The release date is toward the end of June and the retail price is scheduled to be $9,000.00 US. Oh, and if you own a REF-110 ... sell it quick!

As a further note, I visited the Optimal Enchantment room and auditioned the new ARC REF-250 mono blocks. Randy Cooley, the owner of Optimal Enchantment, had the system set up in a suite and really had the system/room dialed in. Randy always has a great demo and has an impeccable taste in music. What I heard in Randy's room this year was simply magic. It had me shaking my head in disbelief wondering how much more information could still be hiding in those record grooves. Was it better than what I heard in the room that demoed the REF-75? Ahem ... it was, after all, Randy Cooley's room. :>)
128x128oregonpapa
Funny. I thought tonality in the midrange was the Ref 75 big weakness.

I will say if you like current arc gear, it will please you.
I thought so too initially. Now after more than a couple of months with them, realized
my earlier impressions don't count. From 100-400hrs with their roller coaster of ups and
downs make it rather difficult to guess what to become of the sound.

Only after passing the 400 mark it stabilized then became much more relaxed,
real/organic sounding, and continue to bloom there on. But still, if the typical 'warm thick
full euphonic' tube coloration you are seeking--they are not.

Love the cool retro metered look of the REF75, yet also the REF150 for its understated
simplicity.
The REF75 at the show was driving Wilson Sophia 3s, not Sashas.
Stereophile's testing says they're 88.3db(B)/2.83V/m.

I guess if you judge the amp's midrange by playing recordings like Alice in
Chains, you'll be disappointed.;-)
Sorry about the error in my post re: the model of Wilson speakers.

All the latest ARC gear takes about 500 hours before it really sings. My PH-8 continued to improve right up to the 1000 hour mark.

There was something I noticed about the room in which the REF-75 was being demonstrated. I arrived on the second day of the show, and the room/amp sounded terrific. If you visited the room on that day, I was the white-haired guy in the center front seat who was glued to his chair. :>) On the third and last day of the show, the room took on this brightness. I noticed it as soon as I sat down. I'm wondering if something was changed during the night, like inner-connect cables, or perhaps a tube going bad. I don't know if you guys noticed, but the Phono stage being used was made by Boulder. Perhaps that was the problem?

My speakers are Legacy Signature IIIs - 94db efficient. I don't listen at massive volumes, but I do like to feel the bass energy in my chest from time to time ... and I think the REF-75 will fill the bill nicely.

For those who listened to the REF-250s in Randy Cooley's room ... was that a treat, or what?? Kudos to Randy and ARC for that magic.
Sorry about the error in my post re: the model of Wilson speakers.

All the latest ARC gear takes about 500 hours before it really sings. My PH-8 continued to improve right up to the 1000 hour mark.

There was something I noticed about the room in which the REF-75 was being demonstrated. I arrived on the second day of the show, and the room/amp sounded terrific. If you visited the room on that day, I was the white-haired guy in the center front seat who was glued to his chair. :>) On the third and last day of the show, the room took on this brightness. I'm wondering if something was changed during the night, like inner-connect cables, or perhaps a tube going bad. I don't know if you guys noticed, but the Phono stage being used was made by Boulder. Perhaps that was the problem?

My speakers are Legacy Signature IIIs - 94db efficient. I don't listen at massive volumes, but I do like to feel the bass energy in my chest from time to time ... and I think the REF-75 will fill the bill nicely.

For those who listened to the REF-250s in Randy Cooley's room ... was that a treat, or what?? Kudos to Randy and ARC.