Accuphase preamps

My research tells me that their preamps have some of the most features of solid state designs. Also, I have heard them @ CES, they sound very good indeed.

My question is, will they mate up ok with other brands of amps.

Right now I have Bryston amps, and a BP6P preamp, and I'm not too crazy about getting a BP26 because of lack of features.

It also appears that Accuphase is the better design as well. Am I wrong?

Thanks.
dave_72
Hi Dave,

I am not really able to fully answer your questions, but here is my experience with the two brands:

About 3 years ago I tried for two weeks in my system (back then a pair of Dali Helicons + a Rel Stentor 3) the BP25 pre with DAC and the 4BSST power amp. I found them only marginally better then the Musical Fidelity A5 combo (integrated and CD player) I had then.

When I have returned the Brystons to the dealer, he let me try them with the B&W 802 D speakers and also let me compare them with a A5 combo he had in the shop. The situation was similar to my experience at home, i.e. the Bryston combo was a bit better. Finally, the dealer hooked up the B&W 802D speakers to the Accuphase E-550 integrated amplifier (class A design). In spite of having only 30 watts in 8 ohm load, the Accuphase embarrassed both Bryston and Musical Fidelity combos. Of course, the Accuphase could not go as loud as the other two, but for what I consider normal listening levels (70-80 dB) it had better bass, instrument separation, timber, etc. (Accuphase impressed me quite a bit in this demo, and after I have changed my Dali speakers to Focal Micro Be I have bought an Acuphase combo.)

Accuphase is the more "noble" company (and often has better designs) but Bryston is not a slouch by any means.

Which Accuphase preamplifier do you have in mind? Which Bryston amp do you have?

Best wishes,
Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your impressions on this equipment.

I'm interested in the Accuphase C-2410 preamp.

Right now I have the 4BSST amp, but will possibly upgrade to the 7BSST2 or the 28BSST2. More than likely the 7BSST2 since the cost of the Accuphase is quite high.
Hi Dave,

Regarding the C-2410 preamp, you should do some research before buying it as my feeling is that it will be discontinue somewhere this year. You should be able to get a significant discount for the C-2410 once the C-2420 will be introduced. You might also want to look for a C-2810, it should cost roughly as a new C-2410 (maybe even a bit less).

Keep us (better said me) posted!
If you're looking for a (high priced) Accuphase pre, then I agree with Nvp that used 2810 is the way to go.

Inexplicably, there was much more dynamic content to the 2810 than the 2410 when I listened to them a couple of years ago.
Hi Guys,

Well, the dealer that I talked to in California informed me that the distributor said there's no plans to replace the C-2410 anytime soon. He might be bluffing, however in order to sell the demo unit he has.

The reason I picked the C-2410 is because it has the bass and treble controls. The C-2810 (and the C-2820) does not.

As for the amp, I will listen to the Accuphase amps and go from there. I'm willing to bet the sound is at least a bit better than the Bryston amps. Especially the Class A models. Are the A/B models a good choice too?

Thanks.

Take care.