Is there any truth to this question?

Will a lower powered amp that can drive your speakers, in your room, listening to the music you like sound better than using a powerful amp to avoid clipping?

Here's the scenario: Use a 50 w YBA amp to drive 86 db efficient Vandersteens in a 10 x 12 room, listening to jazz or

Will a 200 w Krell or such sound better and more effortless.

Some say buy all the power you can afford and others say the bigger amps have more component pairs ie) transistors to match and that can effect sound quality.
128x128digepix
If an amp is clipping, there is a good chance the sound quality is negatively affected well before any any clearly audible distortion is noticed. Better to have an amp that goes loud effortlessly to provide headroom before any clipping comes into play. One might be surprisec what is needed to do this for less efficient speakers. The difference can be subtle but very significant. With the exception of very efficient switching Class D amps, some weight and size is usually required.
02-13-12: Mcpherson
This may be a silly ? but when the term "clipping" is used..Is it referring to the amp shutting down momentarily or the speakers making a clipping sound?
It does not refer to the amp shutting down, momentarily or otherwise. It refers to the rapid rise in distortion which occurs as the amount of power the amp is asked to provide approaches and then exceeds what it is capable of providing.

Regards,
-- Al
This is a question I have had for some time and see no need to start a new thread, but I would like to ask the same basic question this way, and hope get a answer I can understand.

I have 4 ohm speakers being driven by a 150wpc into 4 ohm amp. Say I never go louder than 3 watts. I should have enough power for all peaks and dynamic events.
Say I then replace that 150wpc @ 4 ohm amp with one rated at 300wpc into 4 ohms. I still listen at 3 watts. Will I have gained anything?
Glad to have phase drug into this discussion.

also needed is the fact that while same-power amps will make about the same amount of heat driving a resistor, the same can not be said when driving a reactive load. That's when people start talking about 30 watt SS amps weighing in at 75lb.

So, the Harbeths with minimal phase shift are an easy load, regardless of the overall sensitivity of the speaker.
Similar comments can apply to my panels. Reasonable phase angle, low sensitivity and well coupled into a room make for a reasonable load which any 4-ohm capable amp should drive well. The conventional mo-betta' panel power wisdom may not be 100% accurate.
"I have 4 ohm speakers being driven by a 150wpc into 4 ohm amp. Say I never go louder than 3 watts. I should have enough power for all peaks and dynamic events.
Say I then replace that 150wpc @ 4 ohm amp with one rated at 300wpc into 4 ohms. I still listen at 3 watts. Will I have gained anything? "

I'd say the answer is: it depends.

Digital in particular is very challenging for an amp to deliver peaks and transients. I am of the opinion that this has always been a major reason why digital does not sound good to many, ie their amp cannot deliver the peaks and transients accurately to the speakers. A good, well constructed amp selected specifically for its ability to drive the speakers efortlessly can. I have found that going with more power in general helps, especially as the volume goes up. THe amp has to be good. IF its a good amp, the extra power becomes an insurance policy at minimum. In general, I believe this is where one wants to be.