Is it save to convert XLR to RCA?

Dear Audio Gurus,

I have a Harman Kardon HD990 player, which has two outputs: RCA and XLR. I'd like to use them both. However, my amps and pre-amps all take RCA. I know of XLR-to-RCA cables. But the HD990 specs mention that RCS is a 2V output whereas XLR is 4V. Am I going to damage my amps and pre-amps by trying this?

Thanks,
Walfredo
walfredo
Yes, that looks like a good choice, Scott.

FYI, this Jensen paper may be of interest, with respect to long term applications as opposed to the temporary situation you are addressing.

Best regards,
-- Al
Post removed 
Ok, I have a question. I want to use an xlr cable from my pre to amp. My pre is only RCA out. I want to purchase this Jensen transformer mentioned above and am not sure what to buy and if it will work? I assume they make one that accepts RCA from the pre and then use xlr from the Jensen out to my amp xlr? I did not see a pic of a Jensen unit so equipped?

Am I thinking right?

Granny, as shown at the bottom of this page the "xx" in the part number gets replaced with letters specifying the type of input and output connectors. For RCA in and XLR out the model Bob mentioned would be DM2-2RX.

Before ordering, though, you should call Jensen and discuss your particular application with them, to be sure that is the most optimal model for your purposes.

Regards,
-- Al
Al, I have a ground loop buzz I cannot get gid off and it is driving me out of my mind. I have tried everything. Cheaper plugs, changing IC's, isolating cables etc. My IC's are shielded .

I changed speakers and nothing else, but now a ground loop issue? Very strange. My old speakers were Soundlabs and they plugged into the wall. System was dead quiet through the speakers. My new speakers don't plug into the wall as they are not esl's. Nola Viper Reference.

With my amp only in the system and all other gear out, except speakers, the noise is gone. The cd plays no roll as I have removed it and still have the noise. When my pre is turned on - boom now the buzz. Problem is the same noise is their with my active pre or my passive pre. My passive does have an AC plug as it is the Lightspeed. My amp is the Aesthetix Atlas and my full time pre is the TRL Dude.

I don't know what to do and was thinking about trying xlr cables into the amp, thus my post above. Well it seems impossible to cure this issue. My home is new. I have 2 direct 20 amp lines for my stereo. All gear is plugged into the wall. No conditioners.

The noise is always a little louder out of one speaker. Volume plays no role.

Yikes!