Best current 845 Tubes

NOS is ridiculous to find, and if they aren't fakes, and aren't used up they get really expensive. So lets keep them out of the equation.

A few searches revealed a few flavors available. And some information that makes them all seem like the same tubes re-branded. So I'm looking for opinions.

Shuguang 845
Shuguang 845B
Shuguang 845C
Psvane 845-T
TJ Full Music 845
Sophia Electric 845
Create Audio 845
Taylor 845

I think TJ and Sophia are the same tube.
denoiad
As with any task to designate a "best," a best 845 tube doesn't exist. First, it depends on your amp. One of the touted advantages of tube amps is the ability to "roll" or change tubes from one brand or build variant to another. Now, I say this as a lifelong tube audio devotee: if tube changes alter the sound of an amplifier, then which produces the accurate or highest fidelity sound? It becomes quite subjective. In some respects, audiophiles use tubes, like cables, as fixed parametric tone controls to tune the sound of their systems to personal preferences.

For example, nearly all of today's 845 amps ship with the cheap and ubiquitous Shuguang 845A commodity tube. It's super cheap and reasonably tough, and sounds fine out of the box. But I've not heard a single 845 amp that sounds its best with this tube, no matter how many times the maker says "the best tube is the one we ship with the amp." For most amps, the Shuguang 845B will improve everything over the 845A, at a modest increase in cost. The B tube will prove long-lasting and both electrically and physically durable, able to handle amplifier circuits that run the 845 aggressively.

But the Shuguang 845C has some interesting qualities. Its transparency, high frequency extension and transient speed are remarkable, though it produces about 20% less power than the A or B tube. It also is rated for less plate dissipation than normal spec (~75w v. ~100w in the A and B tubes) so in many amps it will have a short life and run borderline runaway, but that's a separate matter. Point is, in an amp like my Audion Black Shadow monoblocks, the 845C sounds shrill to the point of unusability unless paired with a speaker with a rolled-off top end. But if used in a Tri amp, which is voiced more like Shindo for a too-soft top end, and undynamic with rounded transient character, it *can* be an asset, depending on your preferences.

For most, the 845B is the "best" 845, because it is neutral, toneful and delivers good bass control, plus it's affordable, reliable and predictable. Some people prefer the Psvane 845-T to the Shuguang B tube, but the sonic advantage is not large and the newer T shows indications of being less reliable. It certainly hasn't established the long-term track record for reliability yet. But it's worth a try for someone restless.

The standard TJ tube has lower-than-spec plate dissipation, so it isn't universally compatible. The TJ Carbon plate that Sophia sells claims full RCA spec, so it should be fine. I haven't heard it. Nor have I yet heard Canada Fuller, Create and Synergy.

The KR 845 is the outlier. It is an interesting design innovated by Kron and it's off spec. It's dynamic, transparent, vivid. The initial version had serious reliability problems due to the ribbon filament shorting. This has allegedly been corrected though I can't personally vouch for current reliability. The maker of my amps, Audion's owner, says it's a drop-in replacement with no problems and it's his favorite way to listen to the amp. Prices are nearly at NOS levels in the US. In some other amps, some modification to the filament supply may be needed.

What's the best 845 tube? Tell me your amp, your speakers, your room characteristics, your tolerance for risk and expense, and your general sound preferences, and we can narrow that down to a "most likely to be best" for you.

Phil
I just bought a Cary 805 AE that came with a factory supplied Chinese 845's. Wonder if this is a Shuguang?

No matter how many sweet 300b's (for driver), 6sl7's 6sn7's (input stage) I plug in ahead of it there is a upper midrange emphasis I'm not keen on. My Cary 300bse have better balanced sound,including surprisingly more bass... although not as controlled.

This is my third 845 amp and either I have had bad luck in using bad sounding 845's or maybe I just don't like 845's as all sort of have this quality.

So wondering what 845s are considered to have best midrange?
Frankk,

You have the 845A. It is most of the reason for the glare bothering you. Spring for a set of Shuguang 845B to smooth out your sound.

Phil
Thanks.
In your opinion can the best 845 compete with the 300b in the midrange.