Class D amps

I know Class D power amps are used in car audio applications. Why not for home audio power amps? Thanks.
nordic587
Hifial, unless you post your e-mail, we cannot reach you now (thanks to new Audiogon rules). My e-mail is [email protected]

Thank you in advance

Rafael
To Maxitonus
I am spanish , living in Barcelona.
I am very interested in your experience with Classdaudio. I was thinking of buying the Ncore kit from Hypex when I read your comments on the SDS 470C ready made amplifier. Did you have the opportunity to compare to any Hypex amp?
I bought many years ago teh Flying Mole amps for fun, using Spectral gear as the big system. Recently I sold everything and had to use back the Flying Mole class D amps and I was surpised how good they sound.
I am specialy interested in teh cable combination you have gathered that best suits the amp.
Thanks in advance
À bientôt!
Joaquin
My NuForce Stereo 8.5V3 has for now almost 3 years been the best poweramp I've ever had; it simply let's the music shine through in its different palettes and nuances with subtleties and power to spare(via speakers with 94dB sensitivity), hereby getting out of the way very effectively as a less interfering measure between the music and my ears/mind. Maybe it would seem presumptuous or even trite to claim this degree of sonic neutrality instead of staying with the end result of the sound, if you will, as a subjective preference of mine, but I believe my experience and observative nature to be sufficient in claiming 'it'(i.e.: a certain degree of neutrality). To me at least this trait is very important being that my musical taste spans almost everything, and moreover I treasure the sonic hallmarks of speed/timing, an honestly revealing capability, and an unfettered quality at higher volumes - not that I'm an outright "play loud-Joe." All of this is encompassed in named NuForce poweramp as "features" that are distinctive, although they're identified, as being nonrestrictive and "incognito." I can't for the world imagine why many of the so-called 'audiophiles' wouldn't appreciate these qualities, but then again - that may just be me being overly projective on sonic aspects I believe of importance...

NuForce may not be representative of Class D amps in general, but they're still considered such, and therefore the general slaying a la "Class D sucks" will have to account for them being a possible exception - if that's the case, and if it's not simply an ill-supported grudge against "this new devilry." I don't buy the love for the typical Class A/B or A, or even tube-based amps, in any outright fashion, nor do I hold them in particular low esteem. If anything though I'd go so far to say most of the Class A/B, A and tube-based amps I've heard carry a higher, and more intrusive sonic character than what I'm hearing through the NuForce amps(8.5V3 and 9V3 SE mono's). Whether this is a reflection of the amplifying principle at hand or simply a design/sound philosophy within the same remains dubious to me, but I expect the former more than the latter.