Hi Fi Dealers in NYC - where to find them?

Here's a phenomenon I want to share with you. I'm not far from NY City but had a hard time finding decent hifi dealers where I can audition different gears (speakers, pre, power amp, turntable, etc) for buying in the future.

I know hifi dealer is becoming a rarity even in big cities like NYC. The two dealers in NYC I visited were snobbish, pushy and money-oriented. They were not willing to demo equipment that a customer is not buying on spot. I admit I'm not nearly as knowledgable as them. But a potential buyer needs to be educated by ways of auditioning.

Maybe they already have plenty of business. Aren't they loosing potential buyers because of the way they treat customers?

Anyhow, do you know any decent and friendly dealers in NYC, NJ and CT?

Thanks in advance.
r0817
I bought both a power amp and a preamp from Sound by Singer and my sales person was none other than Andy Singer himself. He was courteous, knowledgeable, low pressure -- and actually steered me away from a more expensive pre because it was beyond my needs.So I have nothing but good things to say about my experience.

Neal
I like Audio Connection as well. Just don't say anything bad about Vandy and you'll be good.

Also, it's worth the trip to Boston to go to Goodwins. Very nice up there and an outstanding selection of equipment.
In swedesboro Nj, you can look for Jason (owner at avlogix)he is a really nice guy.
I have to work on a fairly limited budget so am definitely not a big fish for these stores. That being said, CSA Audio in Montclair has been very very friendly to me and has good stuff. Years ago, I had several good experiences with Stereo Exchange in NYC
It's been years, but Singer and Lyric were always about qualifying the customer. As several have recommended above, wearing $400 shoes will go a long way towards getting you good service at either place.

Lyric was famous for guarding the vault. In the 1970's (IIRC), they had the Magnepan Tympani set up somewhere in the dark recesses of the store, and it was kind of a quest among audiophiles to see if you get a look/listen. I was in my twenties and never got close.

Many years later, I bought both Verity Parsifal/Encores and a Krell KSA50s from Andy Singer over the period of a couple of years and still got sized up every time I walked in the store.

In their defense, I suspect that both places get many hobbyists who have great curiosity about the exotica in these stores but no intention of/ability to purchase. As nice as it might be to see them nurture these potential future customers, I gather that both stores have concluded that it's not practical to do so. In the end, they run their businesses to make a buck. Both places have been around forever - surviving some pretty severe economic ups and downs that have wiped out many competitors - so maybe their judgement is (pardon the pun) sound. Though definitely unpleasant for those in less exotic footwear.

Audio Connection, by comparison, went 180 degrees the other way. Very nice, very helpful. Vandy centric, but I find that almost all Vandy dealers are.

Caveat, all experience are from the last millenium.

Marty