Audio Research Ref 5 and Krell amps

Hello,

Just wondering if ARC Ref 5 preamp will mate well with Krell FPB 450 MCX monoblocks. My speakers are Revel Salon 2.
sfstereo
Bifwynne,

Thanks for the suggestions. I have also read that it takes 500 hours to break-in the Ref 5. At the rate I use my system, there will be a Ref 10 by the time I reach 500 hours. My normal usage is only about 2-3 hours a week. I guess I will just have to leave it on for a few weeks.

Since this is my first foray into tubes, I may consider a tube amp later on if the tube preamp works out. I don't know a thing about tubes, fortunately, I have a very good friend that can educate me.
Sfstero,

Aside from my general preference to buy used gear rather than new for financial reasons, you raise another reason to buy used -- used gears avoids long break-in times. The "used" new Ref-5 that I recently picked up on A'gon had about 1100 hours on it. Just broken-in, yeah!!

As I said in my preceding post, I wouldn't drop any money on a tube amp unless you road tested it first. Having a chat with your friend about tubes amps is a good idea.

As a general matter, pre-amps/line stages and other source tube based inputs (e.g., CDP and phono stage)don't require a lot of care and feeding. The tubes last a long time, except that in ARC gear, the power supply may use a power tube (e.g., 6550C or 5881) which may need to be replaced every 2000 hours. Some of the hybrid gear does not use a power tube in the power supply -- it's solid state.

IME, tube power amps, at least my tube amp, requires a little more attention, e.g., power tube (KT-120, 6550C etc) replacement every 2000 hours and bias adjustment. Some tube amps have automatic bias capabilities - my ARC does not. Of course there's always the occassional pesky bias tube resister that could blow if a tube arcs (i.e., goes bad). Fortunately, there's an ARC authorized service tech who lives near me and makes house calls. Very sweet. Frankly, I enjoy fiddling with my amp. I find it relaxing and interesting.

Well . . . good luck again.
Bifwynne,

I would love to try tube amps and maybe even vinyl someday when I have more time to enjoy the finer things in audio. I have repaired my friend's tube amp a couple of times so I do know that tube amps do require a bit more care than SS.
Just heard CD8/Ref5/Evo 402 into Franco Serblin's new Ktema speaker at a show. Very nice
I used Krell FPB750MCX and 450MCX with ARC ref3 and also ARC ref5. It is a wonderful combination. The ARC makes the mids very musical and still has enough details. It is also not to bright. The KCT has a little more bottom extention but the ARC preamps sound better in the mids. You can not go wring with this combination. Krell and ARC are a perfect match and a lot of audio friends use this combination.

Peter