Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Hi Swampwalker, thanks for your comments.
Frankly, I thought so too... that's why I decided to upgrade all my components. I can't wait to change everything in one go but there are other considerations in life other than audio, although it's my second love after my wife and children. Over the past 18 months, I've patiently changed my CD player, preamp and cables (to Audience PowerChord and AU24 system-wide). I'll eventually change my amp and speakers too but I only have one chance with each because of WAF and $$$! After the upgrades, I would have to wait a few more years before bringing up the upgrade subject to my other half. While waiting, I would just have fun and enjoy what I have and could affford. Hehehe...
Please recommend matching speakers and amp (preferably tube) that would go well with the rest of my other components?
Your room is a bit small, so I am thinking monitors or small footprint full range speakers. For the latter, maybe VR 4jrs or Vandy 2ce sigs and a 2WQ sub. Used, either of those would keep you well under budget. At $3.5k for a tube amp, you could get a used, stock Berning ZH-270, or nice pair of Cary monoblocks if you end up with high eff. speakers. Check w/Bobby @ Merlin as to whether your room is too small for the VSMs. He will be happy to talk to you even if you are looking in the used market. If not, the Supratek/Berning/Merlin combo is generally highly regarded in these parts. There is a VAC tube amp that is for sale now, that you could team with 2ce sigs and still stay w/in your budget of $3.5K and stay under budget.
slowhand:

i've exchanged a few emails with mick regarding the dac he is working on. price point he had in mind was about $500 max which is an excellent price if it's up to the level of his preamps. he didn't mention it being tubed though he did related that it's non-oversampling with a unique i/v stage and output. unfortunately, i recently acquired a 47 labs shigaraki transport and dac. still, i might give the supratek dac a try whenever it surfaces.

kevin t
Hi Ethifi. I would heartily concurr with Swampwalker's recommendatations. A speaker change would definately have the biggest influence. Due to the dimensions of your room, I would opt for a standmounted monitor before a floorstander. There are just so many fabulous sounding monitors to choose from and many have some serious bottom end extension whereby you wouldn't even need a sub in a room that size. Mating a musical sub to most any quality speaker can be a daunting experience to be sure and rarely accomplished without spending some serious cash. There are some oustanding monitors that will embarass a lot very expensive full range speakers in a room of your size. I would hazard to guess that most any "quality" floorstander that I can think of.... would pretty much overpower your room. In my family room at home [21ft x 17 ft with an 8 ft ceiling] I am using a pair of reference 3a deCappo i stand mounted monitors and the bass extension and resolution is something to behold. Furthermore.... they are a rather benign load for any amp and are 93db efficient. I drive them with an 18 watt single ended tube amp with my supratek syrah and no need for a subwoofer period.They can be mesmerizing with well recorded source material. Many guest's have ask me where I was hiding the sub. Another truly incredible "full range" standmounted monitor speaker I would go "way" out of my way to find is the original proac response 2 with the port in the front,[ not the later rear ported 2's]. A top shelf near field monitor that will compete with most anything out there in my books and can be driven with lower powered tube amps as well. They have a bottom end weight with some serious slam down to the mid 40 hz area and a musical midband resolution to die for, not to mention the sweet and delicate tweet all proacs are known for. These can be had out there today for under a thousand dollars.I am sure there are many more made today that I have never even heard. Swampwalker's mention of the Merlin speaker for instance, The Merlin's VSM series floorstander can compete with just about anything out there regardless of price when properly set up and placed in the appropriate room. Perhaps a little too full range for your room dimensions however Merlin also makes the TSM series stand mounted monitor's that share much of the VSM's design and beautiful voice. While I have not heard the TSM monitors, I could only hazard to guess they would be first rate as well. Hope this helps and best of luck on your journey .
Hi Swampwalker and Ecclectique,
Thank you for your valuable comments. I would certainly be on the look out for your recommendations. I live in Asia and it would be easier to audition the Proac. I have listened to these speakers and like them too.
Re Cary amp, I have been considering either the Cary 805, 300B or 2A3. Which would be a better match?
Re VR4jr, I've written to Albert to find out where I can audtion them locally.
Re original Proac response 2, there's a used one on sale now, is that the one you're referring to?
I will post my findings later on.