Modern Linestages

This is a general question about how complex and expensive some linestages have become. I'm looking to understand why? I can grasp that really good volume controls are complicated and that equally good switches are not inexpensive. I also have a general understanding of the importance of a high quality power supply, which again is not going to come cheap. I just don't comprehend how you get to a 50lbs. plus preamps that cost well over $20k. Is this level of complexity really needed or is it the equivalent of the spate of 500hp "sedans" for every day driving?
128x128onhwy61
Grannyring,
You make a very clear and rational arguement for the benefit and advantages for good quality active linestages. The notion that the sorce-amplifier is the ideal signal pathway is nice theory but as others have found out is not the case often in actual comparisons at home. The point I`ve come to realize is that ears trump theory and measurements. What sounds best to a particular listner is the whole and entire point. To say, well if you prefer the active linestage means you prefer coloration is a weak platform to stand on.I believe the direct and or passive approach is`nt fully accurate as it`s not capable of passing all the information within the signal passage. Oh well...
I believe the direct and or passive approach is`nt fully accurate as it`s not capable of passing all the information within the signal passage.

How so?
08-25-11: Onhwy61
Atmasphere, thanks for taking a try at my question. I realize it is not a trivial inquiry. I find it refreshing that while you design what I consider a very expensive expensive linestage that you don't see any technical or sonic need to come out with an ultra expensive product.
It's actually a very trivial question. A manufacturer will charge whatever the market will bear. It has nothing to do with design, manufacturer cost ... as long as there is demand for whatever reason.

I remember when Mazda Miata was introduced, there was very high demand. There were HUGE dealer mark up, people were trading in their BMW convertibles ... Is the Miata manufacturer cost higher than BMW?, probably NOT, a better car than BMW, IMO a big NOT ... just a bunch of suckers got caught up in the hype and willing to pay big $$.
Georgelofi, what you say in posting #51 does not prove the superiority of passive line stages.

I do not believe for one moment that EE laws are all there is to know. This is just another stage of the argument that ultimately can not be resolved. Without a test such as I propose, there is no resolution to this, other than for you to enjoy your passive device and for me to go with whatever sounds best to me.
The perfect linestage can be imagined as simply a wire with gain. If you do not need gain a passive preamp will do. So, you ask what about matching impedances? Well a simple buffer can be used. Enter the First Watt B1, a passive volume control with buffer. The buffer makes the passive preamp more versatile because the impedance issue is handled by the buffer. Expensive? Not in the least and very good sounding. Here is Nelson Pass's thoughts:

http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_b1_man.pdf

Getting back to the wire with gain. That will be the B3 and that will be coming soon. If you have a look at the pdf above, note how simplistic his designs are. Well designed and great sounding line stages do not have to be complex or cost a fortune.

I am not a dealer and have no affiliation with Pass Labs or Nelson Pass.