DAM Broken tube?

When putting the KT90 output tubes in my new Rogue Cronus Magnum, I heard something rattling around in one of them. The other three are quiet. Does that mean the tube is definitely bad and I should not power the amp up?

I wanted to have it up and running in a couple hours.

When I picked it up at UPS, they had the box standing on it's side despite arrows on the box showing it should be laid flat and fragile symbols. When I pointed it out they said "Oh we don't do that", referring to following handling instructions on boxes.
bajaed
If it's a loose rattling then it could be a small piece of debris inside the tube. I've seen this mostly in vintage tubes and it's usually harmless.

More commonly, a semi-rigid rattling is caused by the heater filament banging around inside of the cathode tube (more likely with bigger tubes). Some tubes are just worse than others, even of the same type & date. Generally not a big problem, as the filament should have adequate insulating coating and the filament wire itself is unlikely to break. However, with the less than stellar quality control of the russian and chinese tubes - there will always be some "bad apples" out there.

I've actually noticed the worst examples of this kind of rattling on some vintage Mullard EL34 and some nice old 5R4GY rectifiers - and never had any operational issues with those tubes.

Obviously, it's not advisable to shake & rattle such tubes like maracas for fun - you don't want to them any reasons to fail. However, most of these tubes (even new production) can survive untold horrors in shipping and keep on ticking...tubes are is many ways quite robust.

The short answer is that your tube in question is PROBABLY ok, as long as it tested fine before shipping. I stick with tubes for their sound, but on the flip side you're going to have to start dealing more in "probably"'s rather than pure "certainties". I've had 1 tube catastrophe so far...last year an EH KT90 shorted out on me, with sparks and smoke (toasted a resistor); there were no warning signs beforehand. Reliance on Russian power tubes is a reality for me, and from now on I'll be buying from sellers that burn them in for me.
Thanks for the responses. It does seem to my uneducated ear that it could be a heater filament, I could not see anything rattling around.

Everything is working and it sounds incredible! Beautiful, deep sound stage.

I may have an interference/ground loop problem. When no music is playing, I'm hearing a mild to moderate hum or buzzing. The amp is in a shelf just under my TV and behind it is a power strip that the TV, BR,AVR and Rogue are all plugged into. There is also an amp right behind the Cronus that the cable company installed to boost my signal(would it be the main suspect?).

A couple feet to the left is a separate outlet that my turntable is plugged into. A couple feet to the right is an outlet the cordless phone is plugged into along with one of those small 2" desktop fans I was using to pull heat away from the amp.When i turned the fan off I heard a click through the speakers but the buzz remained.

Does this sound like a grounding issue or could it be a bad tube? Like I said, music sounds great just noticing the buzz when it's quiet.

I have a pro coming over this week to check my setup and get it dialed in. Could the buzz hurt anything in the meantime?
Found the source of the buzzing, it's my Plasma TV. LG 60PS60.

Any way to fix it? Is it hurting anything?