Replace pwr cord w/IEC socket on vintage gear?

I have thought about this many times, as I own a fair amount of gear from the '80s. Yesterday I picked up a KILLER Heathkit pwr amp, but it has a really wimpy pwr cord. The shop where I bought it will install an IEC socket for 1 hr. labor plus the part. Given that this opens the amp up to the world of better power cords, this seems like an attractive, low-cost upgrade.

Has anybody here done it, and how'd it turn out?
johnnyb53
Paying near $90 for IEC + spending another $100 for aftermarket powercord isn't worth effort. Having IEC will just be another contact connection instead of solid joint wire. DIY is OK if you're savyy. If powercord is bad, than you can replace it with one having same parameters from either partsexpress or digikey. There are ones for audio applications shielded that would do great job for less money.
Johhnyb53, I had to make this same decision with my ARC D70Mk2. I went with all stock and I'm glad i did. A friend who bought a D115 Mk2 changed out the stock cord with an IEC and a Shunyata and also changed the speaker cable strips to the newer Cardas connectors along with the RCA's. For some reason, we both were very disappointed with his results! The amp seemed to loose some of its ability to portray depth and a little of its punch in the bottom end. A big surprise as we both thought that these areas would likely be improved. My friend then tried to sell the amp and found out that the market was calling for a non-modified unit and so he ended up selling for a little less than hoped for..:0(
Stltrains, You are mistaken. There is a right way and a wrong way to plug in vintage equipment. Without any other equipment connected to the subject component plug it into the wall outlet and take a voltage reading from the chassis to ground. Then turn the plug over and take another reading. Whichever reading shows the lowest voltage is the correct polarity. When vintage equipment is plugged in the correct way they sound modern. When plugged in the wrong way they don't.

Has anyone ever been shocked by an old refrigerator when you were a kid? If you did it was because it was plugged in the wrong way and there was too much voltage riding on the chassis. Turn the plug over and no shock.

It's not a matter of personal preference. There is a right way and wrong way.
There are a lot of classic power amps from the '80s, with captive power cords--Electron Kinetics Eagle
I've never seen an Electron Kinetics Eagle with a captive power cord. I've had7 of them, and seen dozens more and they all have an IEC connector.

I've installed IEC connectors of many vintage amps and never had an issue reselling them. Further, it's a tedious job - 1 hr labor is not a bad deal.
Rrog on vintage fisher amps/preamps ive bought and replaced out of spec original caps and resistors the sams and fisher schematics for those units shows the a/c plug feeding the power transformer power windings and service receptacles with no polarity marked hot or neutral and the instructions do not mention a right or wrong way to plug these units in. these power amps and integrateds have a so called death cap installed for the shock hazard you mention on fridges due to there super high stepup voltages. these units are late 50s early 60s built when life was simple and much better.

Marakanetz thats very true on the cost of iecs and the added connection but in the end worth it for better sound imo.