is finding a good a/v preamp/amp asking too much?

In a former life I worked for Bose and have recently decided to get back in the game and purchase a new system. My question is this (I apologize for the ignorance)-In a perfect world, I would like to buy an preamp/amp combo that can serve both as a surround system and serve as a decent audio base. I'm planning on buying either Maggie 1.7's or MG-12's and am buying an Exemplar BDP-83 Universal player that I found on this site.My budget is approx $2000 and my preference is tube, but I'm guessing that's not possible. I also have no aversion to buying used, probably prefer in order to get more bang for my buck. Any help/advice at all is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance...
lensteve
Post removed 
Just because avrs and pre/pros offer digital room management is no guarantee of any sonic superiority to good quality 2-channel components.

The notion of digital room correction is, imo, vastly puffed up in what it offers for sonic presentation into a room that has been properly treated and configured.

Most avrs and pre/pros are 'swiss army knives' which typically offer a plethora of features and do none of them as well as dedicated components.

If someone's 'unbelief' of the sonic difference in components of varying grades is unshakable, then this topic should end with an agreement to disagree.
I want to thank everyone for their help...this site rocks! I pulled the trigger today on the NAD 765 HD receiver. In my research, it kept popping up on various sites/forums with a lot of positive comments regarding its audio capabilities. I realize that it's not optimum, but I'm comfortable at least starting with this. I also was able to find it @ Audioadvisor.com for only $999 (retails for $2499) brand new. I noticed that Amazon and various other sites are sold out and Joe from Audioadvisor explained they are getting ready to come out with a new series/model. Since this does everything I need at present, I'm feeling pretty good about the purchase. Thanks again for everyone's help.
Post removed