is finding a good a/v preamp/amp asking too much?

In a former life I worked for Bose and have recently decided to get back in the game and purchase a new system. My question is this (I apologize for the ignorance)-In a perfect world, I would like to buy an preamp/amp combo that can serve both as a surround system and serve as a decent audio base. I'm planning on buying either Maggie 1.7's or MG-12's and am buying an Exemplar BDP-83 Universal player that I found on this site.My budget is approx $2000 and my preference is tube, but I'm guessing that's not possible. I also have no aversion to buying used, probably prefer in order to get more bang for my buck. Any help/advice at all is greatly appreciated, thanks in advance...
lensteve
Thanks Meiwan...I had a feeling this would be nearly an impossible task. I did look up the NAD you suggested and it certainly looks intriguing, thanks.
Post removed 
Thanks Bob. Is there pitfalls to running a solid state pre-amp with a tube power amp?
There is an editorial in one of the later editions of TAS that recommends using the two channel preamp of your choice which has a HT pass thru, and then buying the latest greatest throw-away surround sound receiver that will play your movies. That way you don't compromise the two channel experience and you're not married to cut rate electronics when you really want to listen.
Personally, Surround sound doesn't do a thing for me. I've heard only one home system that even mildy impressed me. Just run the TV through a high quality two channel and forget the surround sound part.

I don't think the speakers that you're considering are way outside the box for a AVR in your price range. My speakers are worth about $3k retail and they sound great. I've heard my speakers connected to a system in the store that was intended for the Focal Grande Utopia's and while they sounded much better, I still don't feel that mine are lacking in comparison.