Audio Research Reference Linestages

Just want to hear if anyone else have a similar experience that I do.
Some 8 years ago I bought my first ARC Ref linestage.
It was Ref2 mk2, which I first enjoyed very much, but soon I found the bass to be to close in the soundstage and the treble too far away which never allowed the soundstage to get really homogenous and create the real music event.
When comparing with a Conrad Johnson LS17 it was very easy to hear that Ref2 mk2 had some issues with it's soundstage.
But I'm a fan of ARC's high energy "big" sound so I bought a used Ref One (later model with Infinicaps and detachable powercord), and it easily beat Ref2 mk2 in every way.
There I had the perfect soundstage with great dynamics.
It simply sounded more complete and homogenous than Ref2 mk2. Still not the last air in the highest treble that C-J LS17 have, but the rest was much better with Ref One.
Recently I tried to replace my Ref One with Ref 3, but after 3 months I gave up.
I found Ref3 to lack dynamics and the perfect soundstage of my Ref One. It simply sounded less involving and a bit lame compared to my Ref One.

Anyone else that have kept their Ref One simply because the find it to sound better than later ARC Ref linestages ?
flex2
Arcl60:

Have you installed all three upgrades in your VT-150SE ?
I have never heard anyone mention these upgrades, but they are official upgrades from ARC.
One of them is to change from MIT Coaxial caps to Infinicaps, that made a quite dramatic improvment on the over all realism.
The other two are a change to the bias circuitry to make the start-up bias more stable until the tubes are warmed up, and the last are change of cables in the powersupply that increase impact and give the amplifier 10 extra watts.
I would say that the Infinicaps and the bias circuitry are very essential to all VT-150's.
Ask ARC for the instructions if you want to make these ugrades.

I'm not surprised that REF300 have better and deeper bass since everything (amount of tubes, powersupply and transformers) are beefed up.
Better treble than VT-150SE ???
Well, I have to hear that cause my VT-150SE are absolutely superb in the upper registers. Specially with Infinicaps.
Hope I get the chance to do so in the future.
Hello Flex,
I was aware of those 3 upgrades.
That maybe why my pair of VT150SE is less extended than the pair of Ref300MKI, i didn't do the infinicap upgrade. So maybe if i keep the pair of VT150SE, i will perform the upgrade. Well i guess it will be difficult to perform better on the bass register than the Ref300MKI, they are just more powerful, they use the double of tubes for the power.
By the way if you are traveling to France, and if you close from home, you are welcome to listen the Ref300
Laurent
Hello Laurent
I just looked and actually VT-150SE is a stronger amplifier than Ref300.
In fact it is stronger than all Reference amps except Ref600 which is as strong as VT-150SE.

Energy storage: Ref300 448 joules and VT-150SE 420 joules.
Damping factor: Ref300 have 11 (0,8dB at 16 ohm) and VT-150SE have 16 (0,5dB at 16 ohm).

So beacause of the higher feedback VT-150SE have a stiffer output, but I assume the "sence" of Ref300 being more powerful are because of the bigger transformers that transport the power more easily.
You better get some more iron in a 60Kg amp compared to a lightweighter like VT-150SE (35 Kg)
Ref300 also use less voltage swing over the output tubes compared to the same output from VT-150SE = more linear amplification and less distortion.

Thanks for the invitation.
I live in Europe too so please send an e-mail to [email protected]
I have Ref 5 and 1 side by side,I finally choose the Ref 1 for its outstanding transparancy,not to say Ref 5 is not transparency,the color of Ref 1 is whiter than the 5,lets put it in this way,Ref 1 is typical US sounding,but the Ref 5 has been turned to European sounding.
Thanks for the input Lawence_carpio.
Haven't heard the Ref5 yet, so your input are very interesting. Please describe more if you can...

...or correct my assumptions if you find them to be wrong.

Ref 1 have a bigger bolder soundstage with greater dynamics compared to Ref 5 ???

Ref5 are a bit more lean or slow sounding than Ref1 ???

Ref1 is LESS "musical" than Ref5 ???

Ref5 have a deeper but not as wide/high soundstage than Ref1 ???

Which of them do you think have the highest "truthness" to individual acoustic instruments ?