Legacy speakers and what amps?

Hi all!

I want to upgrade to Legacy speakers. Possibly the Classic HD or maybe even the Focus SE. I've heard them both and I like what I hear. I'll most likely also need to upgrade my preamp and amp.

I'm not an audiophile but I do like a decent sound. I listen to rock and blues, from the Beatles to Blackfoot to Van Halen to Iron Maiden. I know that music doesn't tend to have the best recordings but it is what I like. Once in a while I like to listen to the music with some volume because I like to feel the music. The girlfriend doesn't like that so I normally do that when she's not home.

At this point I'm trying to figure out what pre-amp and amp would be a great match for the Focus speakers. What will make those speakers kick some butt?

That being said, the gear I want to end up with must not be too big and heavy. I want to be able to move it around once in a great while.

Also, I'm going to have to purchase used gear because I can't afford new.

Recommendations please and thanks for your time!
diofan56
My friend has the focus with a krell KSA 250 but has used Bryston also.Simaudio W-5 is 70lbs and can be found for $1800...ish sim has great control and never run mega hot.
I have had great results with Classe CA 300/400 but love Krells brute force on Rattlesnake Rocker.
I've used a McCormack DNA-500 on both Legacy Focus and Whispers - with excellent results. I'm sure they've got a preamp that would also match up. I've still got the DNA-500 - couldn't bear to part with it - its that good. Good luck.
You may want to try finding some used Legacy Audio amp gear. Most of it was actually made by Coda (their Continuum line) and biased for Legacy speakers. I use the amps with my Tyler Acoustics speakers, and I have been quite impressed. Usually the Legacy 2 channel HC Amp sells around $750 used, give or take.

---Dave
I had the Coda idea too. From what I understand, Coda used or uses legacy speakers at the factory. (no first hand exp. though). I would have first hand exp. if Coda had some dealers around. I live in the same town as Coda (sacramento) and have never seen one product.