Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Dilly, You will hear a big improvement over the McIntosh preamp if you switch to a Supratek. While I have never listened to the C2000, my experience with McIntosh through owning and auditioning is that their amps are their strong suit. The preamps/processors and Mac digital I've listened to sounded equal to or in some cases less than other mid-fi home theater products.
I own a Syrah for some time and I have tried several rectifiers including Bendix 6106. 2 weeks ago I was suggested to try a RCA UX-280 directly heated rectifier and the sound was amazing! I asked Mick whether 80 rectifier can be used but his reply is NO. He also said it may even damage the power supply. Can anyone give me some advice about this? Thanks!
You just got the word from the man. How could we give you a more informed answer? The reason for no directly-heated rectifiers is the that they don't have a slow startup. When you power it on the components don't have time to adjust to the current voltage. This causes shorter cathode stripping and leads to tube life, shorter cap life, etc. The chances of damage increase with each time you turn it on. If you decide to continue using the UX-280 you should leave it powered on at all times.
Very good analogy from Jazzdude,No one should use any directly heated rectifiers with the supratek preamps. Although the guy's assessment is bang on about the sound of a ux-280.
Why are all these things named after wines? I look forward to Supratek's "Thunderbird" and "Mogen-David" versions. Or maybe a sober assessment of their real worth. Surely the "cannabis" editions cannot be far from development.