Best preamp for 2k-3k

I am ready to upgrade from my AR LS2 Preamp. In thi price range I am considering the AR LS 26, AR REF 2 and Sonic Frontiers Line 3. Amp rollers will include AR Classic 120 Quicksilver M 130 and Cary Audio SLM 100. Please advise.
yeyoaudio
Macdadtexas

You have heard the TRL Dude vs the Cary in a system?

I like the Cary and have owned it, as good as it is the Dude really stood outvs the Cary.

Did you really listen to the Dude?
I have absolutely no idea what the Dude is. I have heard the Lamm(s), ARC, Audio Horizon, Hovland, Rogue, Bel Canto, Shindo, McIntosh.........

I think the Dude will be on my list to hear before I die. I'm guessing the Cary is still better.

In this price range, I'm still taking the Cary, it's definitely my fav, and has the best build quality and long term value. Well along with the ARC on the long term value, ARC stuff is stellar and really holds it's value as well. Mac holds value as well, and you could find a C2200 in this price range, maybe, I like the Mac sound as well, and build qaulity is great too, but I would still, take the Cary.
The Doge 8 pre-amp with MM & MC phono stage and made by Pacific Valve is a steal at $1,500. The next best up the food chain is the Audio Horizon at $2,750, which has numerous available upgrades. After that would be the Coincident Technology Linesatge at $5,000 which is basically as good as it gets, although it has no remote and only has two inputs.

Greg
This is a great sounding preamp, and the design is very interesting: you can swap different tube boards in and out (without tools) to try different tube types. Hard to explain here, but go to the website for more info (www.musicaldesign.com). John Hillig is an excellent and experienced designer.