Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
Steve-Thanks for the thoughts. I guess I'll just have to get one and see for myself. You really have me thinking regarding you comment about the "nuaunce a good valve preamp brings". I do know what you mean, as I have owned several very good tube preamps in the past. I will add that the CDP I am using also uses tubes (Audio Aero MKII - the latest version). It, indeed, does add the "right texture and upper harmonics" as no solid state CDP or DAC ever has.

I still have a few questions.

Can I run balanced, or is this preamp strictly single ended? It seems that the Audio Aero, sometimes, sounds better when I run thru its balanced outputs and sometimes sounds better when run thru its single ended outputs. It seems to be related to the amp that I use, as different amps sound better using the CDP's single ended outputs, and some amps sound better using the CDP's balanced outputs. (It all get's pretty crazy doesn't it)?

Also, can I get a Syrah with a remote control option? Not that I'm lazy, but I'm a firm believer in the ability of being able to make volume changes from my listening chair.

Thanks again! Louis
Any owners in Los Angeles?

Please email me if you would be willing to let a member come by and see this beauty.
How about owners in the southeastern New England area (including Boston)? Am interested in taking the Supratek plunge (system is Accuphase and Avalon based).
The Supratek is a no brainer, unless you are spending big bucks, $8000USD or more...even then I don't know if the alternatives are better ??

We need to go back to Tubegroover's comments of one month ago, with which I strongly agree...

From Tubegroover:

"I have been withholding this but I think it just needs to be said so no one will have any misunderstanding or apprehension, don't think about it if you are, just do it. If you have a budget that permits it, you can't make a wrong decision with the Supratek. It is impossible unless you are prepared to spend considerably more money. Even so, the decision will still be valid because it can be resold without losing anything or very little and if you don't go ahead with it you will most likely never have the opportunity to hear if you made the right choice or not and the curiosity will never subside until you forget but after so many posts on this thread and still counting, the death of curiosity may prove quite slow.

My reason for the above comment is because I have communicated with a few that are on the fence and I have been too conciliatory to their concerns, the wait and the service. This is the real deal it can't be overstated. It is a $7K or better pre for $2.5K, it really is. I waited 5 months longer than I should have. If only I had believed what I read from the beginning. Read Mark Bucksath review on the Supratek website, and read it very carefully...

http://www.supratek.biz/review.htm

If you can connect to the contents of his most wonderful descriptives of this product, you will hear the Syrah. Keep in mind this recommendation is based on the extreme value of what you will hear, not in the context of the "best" that may be available. If you are prepared to pay considerably more, you will certainly have more choices. I have NO doubt this is the best pre-amp value at this price point on the planet and it is very easy to say it."

Tubegroover: 28/07/03

Regards,

Steve M.
i have noticed on the web site that balanced outputs are an option on the syrah. but it mention the rest of the pre's in/out complement. can anyone comment? also has anyone heard the amp with the balanced outs?