Favorite 300B: Sophia vs KR

Which do you prefer; S.E.T. Princess 300B Carbon Plate or KR 300B WE Clone?

I've only experienced NOS 40's/50's WE so my expectations are pretty high. Which do you think captures the essence of the WE most closely? I'm trying to keep the cost down as much as possible so EAT is not an option, as much as I was blown away by their KT88. I considered current WE but they're not in production until Spring 2011.

-
sakahara
I suppose the notion implied in my initial reply here, but left unsaid in a direct sense, should be expressed unequivocably:

The differences between power supply capacitors in an amplifier have, in my long experience making this change in push-pull tube and SET amps, been greater and more musically influential than the differences realized between any two alternative tubes. That's right, and I'll say this power supply cap difference is, further, much greater sonically in SET amps than in push-pull. Now, I'm not talking about mods that change the total power supply reserve in total capacitance. I'm citing changes in electrolytic capacitor construction between brands (or models in the same brand), that leave the total power supply reserve quantitatively unchanged from stock. I had the same experience with recapping my 845 SET amps.

It's not a convenient plug'n'play change like tube rolling, so not DIY accessible for most. But everyone should understand that recapping can introduce improvements (or if not chosen well, changes of the better OR worse kind) that can dwarf the results from changing tubes.

Another way to think about it: After my Audion Golden Dreams were recapped by Hovland, their performance with the cheapest, most prosaic $20 Chinese solid plate 300B everyone ships as stock, was better than their sound with my most exotic, scarce and expensive 300Bs prior to replacement of capacitors.

Bob also loaned me a simple Glow amp (5w, SE, EL84) that he recapped and made a few other small circuit changes to, as an experiment and to ask my opinion. I could get reasonable dynamics and SPLs from it on my 101db/w/m Zu Definition 2 speakers, and my Zu Druids. Within its clean dynamic range, the little Hovland-modified Glow wiped the floor with a number of $1500 - $5000 amps I put up against it, musically. And compared to a stock Glow, which is a well-liked tyke of an amp, the modded version was transformed, musically. No change in power tubes from among many I had on hand could remotely approach the difference.

Phil
Another example, numerous builders of 300b amplifiers say the type of driver tube chosen has as much if not more affect on the amp`s sound than the type of 300b output tube selected.
Charles, I kind of tube addicted, have many differ 6SN7 variations, such as ECC33, B65, CV1988 and 5692, so, no surprises here:-)

THX
Agree with Charles1dad, I have one amp that a 6sn7 change was more noticable than 300b tube rolling.
Hi Charles,
I was talking to Israel last week about trying other 300b and driver in the Franks. He has been evaluating the new Shunguag Pavane. He seems very impressed with this new 300b. I haven't heard it yet.

Regards,