Pass Labs XA200.5

Much has been said of the Nelson Pass’ XA.5 series. They are among the most reviewed and most recommended amplifier on these pages. And yet, I feel compelled to add my contribution by heaping some additional praise. I have said there is no such thing as a perfect amplifier. Now I am starting to think that if Nelson has not achieved it, he certainly comes very close. The Pass Labs XA200.5 has exceeded all expectations. Coming upon 12 months, my enthusiasm has not diminished. This amplifier has put me into a state of satisfaction, placing it solidly in a 'final destination' category.

Over the past year, I have spoken to many enthusiasts and dealers about amplifier choices. One could get as many recommendations as people you can call. Although I was curious about Pass amps on my current speakers based upon past experience, many dealers were characteristically unenthused. I went out on a limb with the Pass. If you think you know the Pass line based upon the X or X.5 series, then think again.

The XA.5 lets music soar. The words that come to mind are ‘majestic’, ‘natural’, ‘relaxed’, and ‘flowing’. There is a texture and depth to the midrange that I believe is unique to a handful of solid-state amplifiers. In addition, there is what I call the paradoxical midrange, wherein a sense of warmth is also accompanied by increased detail. Many amplifiers create a sense of ‘warmth’ by adding a haze over the midrange. The Pass is totally clear and open across the mids. The words dry and clinical do not even enter the mind. These mids are wet, plump, and juicy.

The bass is just natural, full, and controlled. The entire presentation is effortless, controlled, and delineated, with no strain or compression even with the loudest climaxes. The higher frequencies have energy and detail without glare or hardness. There is no added background noise, and music rises and falls into a natural acoustic space. The music is dynamic, interesting, and compelling. Music can be delicate and subtle one moment, and powerful and fierce the next. These amps are fun, exciting, and thrilling.

The Pass is expensive, but not as expensive as its competition. I don’t need to say anything further about customer support, build quality, or reliability. I do not like to tell people what to buy, but one should definitely consider auditioning these Pass amps in your search for that elusive amplifier. Combining this amp with a quality tubed preamp (BAT Rex), the Tripoint Troy, and Jade Audio cables has really created a very natural presentation that has brought me closer to live music that transcends debates of tubes vs. solid state. I feel that these 4 pieces in combination are at the heart of my system.
rtn1
my experience with pass amplifiers has only been with the ALEPH-3 and the ALEPH 1.2 monoblocks. i like the aleph design much more than the present cosmetics. but soundwise the aleph's were some of the best solid state amps ever made. for example, i heard the 1.2's driving B&W 801v3 speakers and all the "problems" with the upper-mids and treble were gone- the speakers really sang like never before.
the xa.5 series have much improved circuit designs and all that, but i wonder if a "piano" sounds more organic than what i heard several years ago. and i really wish pass labs could come up with a more elegant purposeful design that matches the wonderful sound they make. meters and extra layers of aluminum costs more but doesn't have any functional advantages.
Personally, I'm a fan of their current design. It is classic, and totally their own. Very easy to spot. They are massive, and exude quality. Yet, it is a very simple design as well.

I know that not everyone likes the bright blue lights in a dark room, and wonder about the functionality of the meter. But I just think of it as part of Nelson's design and his philosophy on Class A power.

I'm not sure about the Aleph and the sound of piano. It is true that progress is not always in a straight upward line. But, I think Nelson has probably combined an amp with massive power but also with that rich and organic presentation as well. I don't want to start reciting copy, but it seems as though that has been the goal.
Thanks for that mini review Rtn1. I have owned the Aleph 3, 5, and 2 monos. I now own the XA160.5. At first, I too, preferred the Aleph looks because of the rugged purposeful aesthetic that FF mentions, but the current Pass look is growing on me. I happily trade the very good sonics and excellent look of the Aleph for the truly great sonics and good look of the XA.5 They are incredible amps in my system.
i don't like to post negative opinions except when it comes to a product i have considered buying for myself a hundred times...
also, looking at the design of past and present Pass preamps and integrated amps, they are exactly the kind of functional and attractive components that i would love to have. except that i am researching monoblocks that i won't have to think about replacing for a long long time. vitus, soulution, the new rowland 925's due to come out soon, and others also look tempting.
a final note- sorry, another negative one- i purchased a Bach transcription SACD (chandos) the other day, and could not believe how terrible the recording was, even through my EMM Lab cdp. i actually got up again to see if something was wrong with the player... what good is all of my expensive gear and a supposedly good recording when out comes an orchestra that sounds like it's playing under water?
sorry- i must apologize again. you may return to your "perfect" system.
mine is crap...
I love XA200.5. Period ! Along with Plinius Reference, BAT VK500SE-M and mine Spectron - the best musical powerful amps around !!!!