Modwright LS 36.5 or BAT VK-51SE

I've got it narrowed down to these two preamps. Any thoughts?
roor
both are first rate items from first rate folks.

I'd guess the issue here revolves around what sort of sound you are shooting for and which features best suit your needs.... if both are on par with one another pricewise.

I can tell you this:

Dan Wright has always been there for me anytime I had a question or needed help. He stands behind his products and is great to deal with. I think service is always something to consider anytime you make a big purchase. Not trying to take anything away from BAT ... just sharing my good luck with Modwright.

Good luck,
I'll second Horseface's post--no experience with BAT but Dan has been a joy to deal with, his gear is well made, looks great and sounds fantastic.
I love my ModWright preamp! I have owned several different BAT preamps, (though not at the same time as the Modwright) and find the sound of the ModWright more to my taste.

I also agree that Dan is the MAN!!! He's a pleasure to talk to and work with.
I auditioned both preamps thoroughly in my system (Thiel 3.7, Primare A32 and Marantz 7s1, Supra cables. I also auditioned ARC Reference 3, CJ ACT 1, Aesthetix calypso and Pass XP10. Surprisingly to me, I thought the Modwright 36.5 exceeded them all. The integration of the sound and the articulate low frequencies (unlike the VK51SE which had a strong bass but not the clarity) made the decision easy. I thought based on reviews that the Ref 3 was going to be my choice, but it sounded good but not great in my system; in fact, I would have been hard pressed to hear a lot of difference between the Calypso and the Ref 3. Proves once again there is NO substitution for auditioning in your system in your room. Given that there are 36.5s on the used market for under $3000 I think it is a tremendous value. Build quality is superb and I particularly like having a volume knob again.