solid state vs tubes

has anyone compared a tube amp to a solid state amp and discovered that the diffference sonically between them was undetectable. ? if so what was the tube amp and what was the solid state amp ?

the reason for the question is the basic issue of the ability to distinguish a tube amp from a solid state amp.

this is especially interesting if the components were in production during the 90's , 80's or 70's.

if the components are in current production the probability of such aan occurrence might increasea.

why own a tube amp if there exists a solid state amp that sounds indistinguishable from it ?
mrtennis
Dev,

In your case those mbls would pretty much dictate SS amplification.

BTW you are a lucky guy. Nothing does 3-d imaging of large scale classical recordings as holographically as the larger mbls I have heard.
i will repeat, i am not looking for tube-like per se, but rather to be unable to detect the difference between a ss and tube amp, driving a pair of planar speakers.

i might be able to find a ss amp which exhibits tube like characteristics, yet it may also exhibit ss aspects. that is not my goal.

i'll give a crude analogy.

suppose i have an apple. i like to find another fruit that tastes like an apple that is not an apple.

from what i have read so far it is virtually impossible.
MrT, there was a time when planars ruled the roost when it comes to resolution. That time has passed- there are a good number of cone systems now that easily compete with the best planars.

However, my comments were more the point that if you had a 16 ohm planar, any amp that you have tried so far would sound better on such a speaker.

IMO, one of the most musical transistor amps that is also reasonably priced are the zero-feedback Pass amplifiers, particularly the First-Watt amps. The Ayre is another good choice. So far the best I have heard, better than most tube amps, is the Ridley Audio amplifier. Beyond that, most transistor amps that employ large amounts of feedback are going to sound a lot more like each other than they will like anything else, including tubes.

I should point out though that the 3 amps I listed also are known for making heat, as the simple fact of the matter is that class A operation is part of how these amps manage to sound right. In fact, the Ridley employs a heater to raise and regulate the heat of the output devices. So other than occasional tube replacement, IMO you might as well have a tube amp, if quality sound like real music is your goal...
LOL, Atmasphere, I've got hand it to you, you do know what you like. The Ridley runs hot and hardly increases power much at all into lower impedances. Just like yours.
Unsound the zeros have a 60 day trial period so you can try them on your own system with no risk.