Lively and Dynamic SS Preamp...

i'm looking to replace my tube preamp with something solid state that is lively, forward and dynamic - and has remote controlled volume. willing to go new or used; multiple outputs (amp and sub) and balanced inputs and outputs are a plus, though not absolutely required, as these can be remedied by y-cables and adapters. phono stage is a huge plus, though again, this can be worked around.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

-Scott
128x128srosenberg
BAT VK51SE. I would say a balanced preamp is practically a must with the Pass. It's a little more than your asking price, but is a great value.

The BAT gives that midrange depth and texture, with great dynamics. You can make it even more dynamic by adding NOS 6H30 tubes and EAT tube dampers.

If you are looking SS, I would go with Pass preamps.
I adore my Musical Fidelity KW linestage for having just those qualalities you are looking for. Doesn't have some of the things you'd mention wanting (balanced in/out, phono stage) but as you mentioned, these you can work around. Check out reviews such as Fremer's in Stereophile on this one. And there are other glowing reviews out there too. Might be a little higher than your mentioned price range, but not too too far from it.
What about Parasound Halo JC-2..? No phono input, but satisfactory regarding all other requirements. Very good price btw.