Bel Canto Ref 1000 vs. Spectron Musician III Mk 2

Has anyone compared in their own systems the Bel Canto Ref 1000 Mk II with the Spectron Musician III Mk2? If so, what was your preference and why?

I'm presently using a Cary SLP-05 pre. The speakers are Martin Logan CLX. I have had the Bel Canto in my system previously and thought quite highly of it. No dealers to request a Spectron from to try so interested in forum members view of the latest version.
kiwi_1282001
Kiwi,

I owned the Spectrons (monoblocks with bybee and v-caps) with my CLX's. They were very nice with my ML ReQuests, but with the enormous resolving power of the CLX's I found the Spectrons were brittle, lacking in depth and sounding strained. With my dealer we did a side by side comparison with my Plinius SA-250 and frankly is was no contest, the Plinius won hands down, especially in weight, nuance and texture.

We thought that the Spectrons were challenged to deliver current across the impedance curve of the speakers, although the CLX's are not that hard to drive. I used to be a big supporter of Spectrons, and they sound very transparent at first blush, but after a while I realized they lack substance when driving electrostatics or ribbons.

Now my dealer has Bel Canto's with Soundlabs at home (he needs to get the CLX's!) and that combo is very nice - and based on that listening experience I would reank the Bel Canto's ahead of the Spectrons.

In any event, I would not recommend the Spectrons with CLX's, you will either sell the amps or the speakers!

Steve
MagFan, look up the list, the Bryston 7bsst is on there too. It was much better, stellar in fact. Yes, the 4Bsst did not have enough juice compared to most of the others on that list, did not open up the speakers. No problem with the room, changing the amps did the trick.
I too have had he spectron (bybees & v-caps), the B Cantos and the Cary 500mbs. I ended with the Cary's. You have to listen and make a decision for your self. By the way, based on history, any open minded written response against the Spectron will be met with a strong opposition by the "Spectron police". U have been warned.
I own the latest Spectron with bybee and V-caps. I also owned the Bel Canto Ref 1000. The Bel Canto Ref 1000 amps would not work with my speakers. My speakers are mainly 8 ohm speakers not 4 so the Bel Canto amps are a weak 500 watts amp not 1000 watts. They did not have enough power or bass. The top end was not there. The mid range was the only good part on my speakers. I tried the Bel Canto amps with 3 different preamps. I do run a pair of Spectrons as mono blocks. I have not run them any other way as mine are bridged internally. The Spectrons are the best amps I have tried with my speakers the Eggleston Savoys. I am sure the big XA Pass amps would also be good but heat is a problem so I have not tried them.
>>07-19-10: Coxhaus
My speakers are mainly 8 ohm speakers not 4 so the Bel Canto amps are a weak 500 watts amp not 1000 watts.<<

A "weak 500 watts".

Very interesting. Reviewing the Savoy specs indicates that should be more than enough power. However........

I have an old Plymouth with a weak 390 horsepower so I can identify with your dilemma.

:-)))