2A3 Set power amp

Kind of a newbie with tube power amps so humor me. How will a Single Ended Triode amp with tubes being 2A3,6F5 and GZ34 sound with speakers that are rated 88-89dB? The Amp is rated at 10 Watts. Thanks for your help.
fromunda
I am with Paul!

Mmike84, have you tried your 300B amp on a 100 dBor greater sensitivity speakers? If so, which one?

IMO, there's a big difference in the ease of presentation and dynamics between a 96 dB speakers and below to that of 97dB or greater sensitivity that does not have a benign impedance load using the same 8W 300B amp. Again, IMO, as you go higher (over 97dB) speakers, then noise and hum becomes a factor and you have to address it wether it is coming from the amp, preamp, cabling, crossover,etc. And once you solved this problem, you will hear what many people love in terms of transparency and dynamics that a low power amp/high sensitivity speakers can provide which are truly breathtaking!

To me, there is no way a 92dB speakers can reach that sound! Why bother, do the right thing first and think a little bit here rather than having "upgrades" as the solution later on. It is not a myth, its been proven time and time again by many, if you want to explore low power amps(less distortion) like SET using DHT's, you will have the highest probability of success to enjoy the experience when you have efficient loads(drivers) for the amp to drive. That's it! Forget about post like "my 89db speakers works well with my 2W SET...etc.", most likely, it is not the truth.

me,
04-22-10: Amandarae
I am with Paul!

Mmike84, have you tried your 300B amp on a 100 dBor greater sensitivity speakers? If so, which one?

Amandarae-

No I have not. Not yet anyway. The 300b Amp and the speakers were made by the same company though so you'd think they would pair well and they seem to. I'm still scouting for a 96-100db speaker currently.
Anyway I have purchased this amp made by Chris Barnett, with 2- 2a3 Sovtek, 2- 6F5GT National electronics and 1-jj rectifier tube. With my 88db B&W speakers I am astonished! This F-in thing sounds like a locomotive on the right track. Holy cow, so much for all the theories in this thread, most were dead wrong!
It will probably drive your speakers fairly well at low SPL.

However, once you push the speakers with challenging source material and/or raise the SPL, the amp will unravel like a cheap suit.

That's fact, not theory.
Audiofeil is correct, of course. You have undoubtedly been listening to recordings that have very limited dynamic range (meaning a very small difference in volume between the softest notes and the loudest notes). Try some well recorded wide dynamic range classical symphonic music to see what he means.

That kind of recording may have brief dynamic peaks that are 30db or more louder than the average volume level. You will set your volume control based primarily on the average level. 30db above that level corresponds to 1000 times as much power!

Regards,
-- Al