Tube or Solid State

My question is, to power a pair of Usher Dancer CP-8517 would you go with the McIntosh MC402 SS Amp, or the MC2102 tube amp?

I grew up admiring the idea of owning my own tube system. But I'm worried that the tube amp wont give me enough sound for what I'm used to. I'm used to playing my music loud and although I understand it isn't an ideal format, all of my library is digital.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
bt~
ntropy8
How big is the room and what kinds of music do you care most about? Also what pre-amp will you be using?
I believe the MC2102 is 100 wpc and the MC402 is 400 wpc. The Ushers are around 89dB @ 8 ohm.

So 1 watt = 89dB, 2 = 92dB, 4 = 95dB, 8 = 98 dB, 16 = 101 dB and so forth. Once we get north of 100dB, I have to ask how loud is loud enough?

An increase from 200 to 400 wpc seems like a lot until you realize that the increase from 200 to 400 gives you the same thing as an increase from 2 watts to 4; that is, a 3dB increase in SPL. So the difference between 100 wpc and 400 is 6dB.

Assuming the impedence curve of the Ushers is fairley flat, that is, that they are not difficult to drive, the 2102 should be capable.

I have read that one tube watt is equal to two SS watts. I do not know if there is a scientific basis for this or not.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers,
Jim
Jim,
I've read what you said regarding db's many times before but it never made much sense until now. Thank you!
Chris
Post removed