Okay I Bought the Magnepan 3.6's

Okay, I actually purchased the Magnepan 3.6's; now it's amp research time! Temporarily running them with my 22 year old NAD 2200PE (don't laugh, it still works!)...and they sound decent in my 17 x 26 room. However as it has been said before, 'Scotty, I need MORE POWER!'...

After some feedback on the Parasound and big Macs, I have been leaning more towards one of the Pass Labs. (Good deals abound on used ones)... So, which way to go? These look very promising:

X250.5
X350.5
or even the XA60.5 (Pricey!!!)...

Thoughts and recommendations? Also, safe to run a tube preamp in front of these?
stickman451
Don't get pushed by some of the above posts into thinking you must have 350wpc, 600wpc, 1000wpc, 1,200 wpc. And the post above misstakes my experience that the Pass x150.5 was inadequate - wrong!

Of course, if you want to spend the $$, then you can't go wrong with a higher powered amp, other things being equal.
But, as I said above, it depends on how loud you play the maggies. The Pass 150.5, as I said above, is really a 250wpc amp disguised as a 150wpc, as per the Hi Fi News tests and is much more than merely adequate.

My 150.5 has more power than my prior Classe CA-201 (stated as 200wpc). My friend's 150.5 had, in his opinion, more power than his prior Classe CA-401 (400wpc), particularly in producing deeper more powerful bass than either of the Classes, which both of us felt were somewhat on the soft side on the bass. The Pass was better in all other categories also - detail, transparency, etc.

But, if you are unsure about the 150.5 and want to ensure adequate power but not go overboard on the power/price issues, I would say you can't go wrong with the Pass X250.5.
DNE, when you say the Pass is really a 250watt amp disguised as a 150 watt amp, that is a bit misleading. Most well designed high end amps will handily exceed their rated output by 1-2db's, the amount of out performance you claim for the Pass. I think the pass is a great amp, if I were rich, I would buy one, but I also think given the size of the buyer's room, and fact that he was not enthused with the McIntosh 402 with 400 watts per channel and 2 dbs of headroom, that he would be well served by having the extra 3-5 dbs that a bigger amp would put out, whether from Pass Labs, Bryston, Wyred, Sunfire, McIntosh or any other number of excellent manufactures.

For Stickman, I have to ask if you watched the meters on the Mac when you were using it. For the levels you wanted, were you getting close to clipping it? That would give everyone a better idea of your power needs.
It's simple. ARC. The new integrated amp at 200 watts into 8 ohms and almost 400 into 4 ohms will simply knock you out.
ARC and Magnepan is one of the most satisfying combinations
in hifi today, yesterday and most likely tomorrow!
Roger (Sanders) has been selling a lot of his new Magtech amps to Maggie owners. http://www.sanderssoundsystems.com/maggie-owners

(full disclosure - my last name is Sanders :-))

cheers,
angela
What about the Atmasphere's - 200 watt tubes. Match made in Maggie Heaven.