Suggestions on a balanced preamp?

My electronics are currently 60 feet from my speakers (as measured by speaker cable length). I was thinking of getting a balanced preamp (a Linn2250), sticking it between the speakers, and running balanced lines from the preamp->amp.

Currently I have an onkyo integrated home theater (fairly new, $1000ish retail, don't know which one) HD reciever with RCA out. I also have vandersteen quatros and linn preamp/amp with RCA connections. I was thinking of getting a preamp with RCA in and balanced outputs and running the HD reciever into an AUX input of the preamp and balanced from preamp to amp.

When playing CDs, I would just go CD->pre->amp and not include the HD receiver.

First, does all that sound reasonable?

Second, is there a reasonably priced (1-1.5k) preamp that would work, that includes a remote for volume? I suppose if it didn't include a remote, I could run the CD->HD receiver->pre->amp but that seems like it wouldn't be as optimal, especially because I have a cheapish integrated HD receiver. I figure the HD standards keep evolving so better to spend the money on quality amps/preamps that I keep forever.

Third, is there some collective wisdom that would steer me in a different direction?

Thanks for reading this far,

- Sprangle
sprangle
You might be able to find an ARC Ref 1 line stage which, IIRC, had the lowest output impedence of any ARC preamp. Very high sound and build quality with bal/se capability and (if you're lucky) a manageable price tag on the used market.

Good Luck

Marty

Al - "worrisomely"? Cool word, but at least one too many syllables for daily use.
"worrisomely"? Cool word, but at least one too many syllables for daily use.
Yeah, guess you're right. But it saved me the trouble of calculating the numbers more precisely. :)

Regards,
-- Al
I am thinking through some of these same issues right now too, helpful advice...
Good suggestions offered and practical factors emphasized...smart people here on A'goN. Thanks to the contributors and OP.