Pass Labs XP-10 & XP20 Users

I recently got a XP-10 preamp. It provides tremendous clarity, a deep and wide soundstage, nice seperation of instruments, lower bass, better defined bass, and a touch of warmth (which is a plus in my system).

It has been in the system for a couple days now, and I am thrilled with the results. This thing is so resolving (without being harsh), that my friends and I could hear differences in the sound depending on how we spiked and isolated the XP-10. A sand bag on top also changed the sound. I will pick a final setup once it finishes breaking in this weekend.

I am using this in a 5.1/2.0 system. The Bypass function is setup on input 5 which is an unbalanced input. My Prepro has both Balanced and Unbalanced outputs. In theory the balanced outputs coming out of the prepro should sound better, so I have it routed through Input 1 and manually set the volume to max and Gain to 0.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks about these preamps? They seem pretty straight forward. It seems the only setup/optimization may be related to spikes, isolation, and weight placed on top of the unit.
dmccombs
I recently bought a brand new Pass Labs XP-20 preamp. Have to say honestly this is the most transparent and superb resolution of any preamp out there for under $10K.

Not really any tips other than make sure to use an excellent power cable with the XP10 and even more important with the XP20. The power supply on the XP-20 is quite larger and has it's own dedicated chasis. A great power cable added to this preamp will even make the XP20 a world class preamp.

There is definitely a break in period with the XP20 preamp. I have owned my XP20 a short time and notice better control in the dynamics as it's breaking in. I would not put anyting on the chasis, just keep them isolated and on seperate shelves. I don't believe in stacking the XP20.

Pass Labs XP20 is the most quietest preamp I have ever owned . I can say I've owned +$40K preamps in the past and the XP20 is a winner and will be part of my personal reference system forever...
Yes, I forgot to mention the power cord. Good Catch MrChips. I went through several cords when setting up the previous Aleph P preamp. I finally when with a DCCA Source II cord. It is a terrific fit in my system, and it seems to work very well with the XP-10. The two preamps have a similar sonic signature, so this isn't surprising.

I'm glad you are enjoying the XP-20. Its a tough choice between the XP-20 and XP-10. I am short on rack space, so I opted for the XP-10.

How long would you say break in is? I heard most of the break in occurs in the first 24 hours, but some people hear changes for a bit longer.
Hey the XP10 is no slouch either. The XP20 just brings a bit more to the table in definition and bass dynamics.

I probably don't even have 20-hrs of listening time under my Pass XP-20. But I did notice initial breaking in the first several hours. Probably about 100-200 hrs should fully break in the XP preamp. Plus I love the "Green" design and efficiency of the XP20. Burns less than a 12W bulb when left on. As you know there is no power on or off button on the XP preamp. Just like the Threshold Fet 10E HL preamp. Pass believes that solid state design is meant to stay on 24/7 for max performance. I don't leave my equipment on 24/7 just when listening. I turn on my system maybe an hour before listening and find it reaches full potential within 2hrs after.

Break in period is an enjoyable time because everytime you sit down and listen to the XP20 it just sounds incredible. I use a BMI HG4 power cable with the PAss XP20 with great success especially in the soundstage and natural focus of the vocals and instruments.

Having several systems going now and this one with the Pass XP20 is my favorite. I still have my longtime reference Threshold Fet 10E HL preamp which is a classic and probably one of the most neutral active preamps you will ever hear. The Pass XP20 is sure to be a classic in the future as the Threshold Fet 10E HL preamp is now.
I have owned the Pass X10 since it first came out.
Some thoughts. It sounds its best after about a week.
Change the 1Amp fuse to the Silver fuse type.

I am using Synergistic Apex interconnects to the Pass X10 and Synergistic Precision ref to my Amp.
Power cord is the Synergistic T2 which is plugged into my Synergistic Powercell 10SE and that is plugged into a Telsaplex outlet. See a pattern there?

Many claim that the X20 is only marginally better or very hard to tell the difference with the X10. That is why it was delayed in coming out.
Instead of spending that money on the X20 I went for adding a JL F-113 sub plugged into the Pass X10.

My only complaint is I wish there was a way to balance the level of the inputs. Its only low gain or high gain which affects all the inputs.