What do you see as the downside of tubes?

I have decided on getting a tube amp and it will be the integrated Mastersound 300B driving a pair of Living Voice Avatars, so at least that decision has been taken.

My main question is what you see as downsides of having a tube amp. As I've decided on getting an integrated tube it's really about what the downsides are I might want to know about beforehand.

The ones I'm aware are the following.

-The tubes need to be replaced and in the case of a 300B this will be somewhat costly.

-Bias is another issue but I'm not sure how big an issue. Do you plug in your meter every so often or just when you roll tubes or replace a dead one? The meter as such isn't gonna be a big issue as I don't think it's that expensive.

-Heat won't be a big issue as we have no kids nor a nosy dog that could get burned. Hope my electricity bill isn't gonna go through the roof, but then again, I can't quite imagine that.

I'd appreciate if you could add whatever your experiences are regarding this question are as I'd like to know more before I buy it.

Thanks
krauti
How do you reliably diagnose the bad or failing tubes for replacement when an amp has so many tubes in use?
Loose bass, forward midrange, bright glassy upper mids/lower highs, rolled off upper highs. Variable performance. Unreliable. High maintance. Difficult to get replacement parts. When they break, they offer the potential to break other links in the system. Excessive heat. Potential burns to children, pets and others. Can cause fires. Requires more care in placement. Limited to use with high impedance speakers. High cost per Watt. Greater sensitivity to speaker cables. Sensitive to vibrations.
Every time I come back there's more. Looks like I started a small avalanche here :)

I shall take a look at the amps mentioned in the thread though so far I haven't chamged my mind. The only thing I don't like so much is the price of tubes. But at least it seems one can get them. Can't say that about ammo for my target gun (hmmm, yeah, sometimes I like things that make boom.

The other thing that does seem to crystalize is that there is somewhat of a potential for damage to the speakers if a tube says goodby in the shape of a wee supernova. Is there anything that can be done to prevent any downstream damage like additional fuses?

Well, thanks again and I shall check back later on.
Nice thread and some very good points both pro and con. I like the sound of tube amp and the ease of a good sounding SS amp, I use both, but all of my SS amps lean toward the sound of tube amp. Since I also own the Mastersound 300B SE I am going to address your questions with this amp in mind. The Mastersound only has 6 tubes, 2 of which are the 300Bs so heat is not really much of an issue, compared to most tube amps this one runs pretty cool. My Mastersound amp is the higher output version which uses either the 32B or 300BXLS tubes and yes these tubes are quite expensive, probably around $625 for a pair of 300BXLS tubes, the 32B tubes cost much more. However, new regular 300B tubes can be found for around $150 for EH to around $350 for a pair of really nice Full Music Mesh Plates all the way up to very expensive Western Electrics with various price points all the way up. The other tubes, 5687s and 12au7s are very inexpensive, so overall tube replacement is not all that expensive or much of an issue.
Biasing the 300Bs will require a meter but those are cheap and biasing the output tubes only takes a few minutes. Once the tubes settle in I only need to check the bias about once a month and rarely do I have to make any adjustments. So overall the downside to this particular amp is very small in relation to the sound it produces.
I was a solid state amp/tube pre-amp man for years. My systems sounded great. Then I purchased Canary monoblock tube power amps and mono-block pre-amplifiers. I have not listened to my superb solid state set-up 30 minutes over the last month or so.

The sound of an all tube system is so seductive. Semi hit the nail on the head, at least for me, in his post. I don't like the maintenance but I am now convinced that the sound of tube amps make the headaches of biasing and testing tubes worth it.

Now that I have tried tubes, I will never go back.........