Best Pre/Pro for under a $1000 used?

I currently have a Aragon Soundstream Pre/Pro and I was wondering if anyone thought there is a nice upgrade out there used for under 1K? I have been looking at numerous options but I have no experience with them. Some are the Anthem AVM-20 V2, Meridian 565, Proceed AVP-S, plus other models from Lexicon, Krell, B&K etc. I use it about 70% music, 30% movies. Any advice/opinions would be much appreciated. Thank you

doug
hyadstroya
To have all the latest codecs decoded I went with an Onkyo receiver and don't use the amps, but you can use them for the surround sound, center, or mains. Very cost-effective and high quality.
I'm not interested in SACD or DVD audio at this point. Therfore, I would only be missing out on the updated HT functions of the newer models. I don't want to throw down 2K or more for the upgrades since I listen to more music than I watch movies.
I love the Anthem. Another choice is Sherbourne 7010/A It's essentially the same as the Sunfire IV but goes for less.
Why not just get an Outlaw Audio 990 on closeout for $699 with full factory warranty? It's based on the highly regarded Sherwood Newcastle 965. I have the Boston Acoustics AVP7, which is based on the same unit. It has a very nice sound, much nicer than Outlaw's earlier 950. The Outlaw version of the Sherwood adds balanced XLR outpus and 3-to-1 DVI switching, which means it can easily switch the video portion of HDMI output.

The Sherwood 965/BA AVP7/Outlaw 990 comes with a mic and automated surround setup, dialog sync, and a host of usable features. Also has a phono section and FM tuner.

It also has analog 7.1 inputs, so you can hook up a Blu-ray player with internal decoding and 7.1 output (e.g., Panasonic 55) directly into it and get the lossless surround codecs.

Another thing to think about: I suspect the upcoming Oppo Blue-ray player will also do SACD and DVD-A. If so, the purchase of that one unit plugged into an Outlaw 990 would give you lossless surround from DVD-A, SACD, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS-HD Master Audio.