Girlfriends and wifes, how do YOU cope?

I would be very interested in finding out how one manages to justify (or sneak in the home) expensive audio equipment without having to sell your soul to the Devil? It's quite a challenge for many of us I think. I heard of someone buying a Bel Canto DAC and telling his girlfriend that " Oh it's just a $ 100.00 power conditionner", or whatever. Seem like we need to get creative here if we can pursue this crazy hobby much longer! Regards All...
ampman66
suzy: what a great story from "the other side." my bride of 34 years and i have a kinda unwritten agreement; every time i make a major upgrade, she goes to europe. seems to work....so far. -kelly
Hay kelly do you go with your wife when she goes to europe or do you stay home and enjoy your upgrade? just curious, seems like a good idea either way
I've got a new girlfriend who could care less about this audio stuff, but we both make good money, and I'm so into it I can't help but explain every new component and theory behind their operation and prices do inevitably come up. I went 5 years without any upgrades, actually downgraded to a receiver due to living in an apartment. Now I'm back, have been ebaying, audiogoning etc... have 2 systems (the '80's system and the good system) and she thinks I was always like this. I'm at the mid-high end level with Sonic Frontiers pre, BAT pwr, Cary cd and Vandersteens. However, I am considering taking it to the next level, and I mean the super-expensive components from the likes of Goldmund, Gryphon, Avalon, Revel and she is NOT happy. (I shudder at the thought of what I would need to spend for an "acceptable" home theater.) If this occurs, I won't be upgrading for a few years... (right?) She has no problem going out to dinner and spending $250. I figure a few dinners cost as much as some of the way-cool stuff I got on ebay. Anyway, my first point is thanks for the advice in the above posts, I and others here are heading into dangerous waters and can use it! My second point is advice, make sure the incoming equipment equals the outgoing equipment so you can have the appearance of sanity. This seems to work pretty good, got a new amp but don't worry the old one is up for sale because I don't need 4 amplifiers (biamp?) and I would rather someone like those of you here at the 'gon enjoy it rather than it sitting in a box in the garage.
- good luck.
Hiding the pre and CDs in an arty-but-rigid Arts&Crafts cabinet (save for "ONE attractive box allowed on top"--thank goodness the EMC-1 rates high!), along with the 25%
jewelry surcharge penalty works fine.
Give the wife more back rubs while listening to the equips never fails. She will encourage you to buy more.