best pre -amp under 4000$

Looking to for a really good 2 chanel pre amp to match my totem winds. Any suggestions?
maverick_spd
For that money you can get the Modwright SWP-9SE with phono section. It's magnificent.
Very interesting how we all go at this hobby. I have found that the preamp is really the heart of a great system. It and the front end source have always been most important to me.

I tend to mate tube preamps with SS amps for the "sound" I like the best.

Maverick spd, the most important first questions for you are these. How do you like your current system? What would you like to improve on or change? What do you like most about the current sound? From here you can start researching amps. Your Winds may need a nice tube amp if your looking for more mid bass, body, texture and warmth.
Perhaps, you are fine and just want more dynamic power and effortless sound at even the loudest volumes. This may take your search into the SS realm for amps.

Now the preamp is that special piece that ties the whole system together and can make your system sound right for you. This is why I call it the heart of the system. It must be matched with your amp for the sonic perspective you desire.

I like a combination of full, rich music with body and texture (often tubes - but also good SS) and effortless dynamics and power reserves with seemingly no constraints (often SS amps - but also good tube amps).

In the end I agree with the above posters and add the fact that you need to better understand and describe the type of musical performance you would most enjoy in your system.
Thanks for your help Tvad and Grannying. I honestly prefer the sound of the Mac over the Bryston. Its warmer and smoother.
Ok Tvad here is a question for you. If i was to stay with my Mca 50 for time being and wanted to match up a 2 chanel preamp with it wat would you recomend. Here is my delema that got me started on this journy, a mth ago i bought a bryston 4b sst and thought it would give me a better punch out of my winds. But the issue was not there. My buddy brought over his 2 channel preamp and BooM! the music was so much louder played on his preamp then my AVM 30. I have now bypassed all my processing and running direct on my digital playbacks, but stil not as loud as my friends preamp. Thus the reason why i was looking for a new preamp.
Yes,at that price theres some great stuff available,especially now.Had a 4BST with a Counterpoint,great combo.Seems the Bryston amps go well with most any tube/hybrid pre.....hopefully you can try before you buy,but I feel its hard to make a mistake with a Mac or Bryston and a good pre,good luck,Bob
Post removed