Solid State Preamp recommendation for $2500?

Hi,

I am looking for some Solid State preamp recommendations. My budget is up to $2500, new or used, perhaps could be stretched to $3000 for something really special. I have fairly neutral, easygoing equipment (upgraded McCormack amp and Tyler Acoustics speakers) and like to listen to all kinds of music, but primarily jazz, classical, electronic, and some rock.

Due to changing circumstances in my system (or rather discoveries) I have pretty much determined that a solid state preamp is the only thing that will work in my system. I have an amp and speaker combo that puts out some serious white noise from tube preamps (I have tried 4 so far, all with the same results, and all preamps were OK in other systems). I have tried 2 solid state preamps, both were dead quiet. So, it is either get rid of the amp, or get a solid-state preamp. As my amplifier is a McCormack DNA-125 rev Gold, I would take a serious hit if I were to sell it, and it sounds pretty darn good. I am guessing I would have to spend alot more than the $2200 I have into it to get comparable performance. Unfortunately, I love tube preamps, but am totally fed up with background hiss that is audible at 15 feet and muddies the music.

I did hear a Classe CP-700 recently that sounded wonderful, but it overshoots my budget, and I can't help but think I am paying for features that I don't need, like the cool but (for me) useless interface). I just want a nice 2-channel preamp, old-school/no remote is fine.
dawgcatching
The Dehavilland and the Herron are both great, and should be dead quiet. The Herron is as quiet as most ss preamps. I'm glad to see you are doing better now w/the Ultraverve, but it still seems strange that you have been having a problem with any of those you've mentioned. Have you discussed the problem w/Steve McCormack? Cheers,

Spencer
Thanks for the update...yes, the journey IS the adventure....enjoy the ride. Tube rolling is fun for some, not so much so for others.

Thanks for starting this thread though and thanks to Ferrari I now know Classe made a DR 7. I have heard/owned/enjoyed many Classe products, but never heard of the DR 7 until now. That's wht makes these threads so fun and informative. FWIW Ferrari, I also owned a Coda 01p many years ago, and it is another great SS preamp suggestion. One of the best full function SS preamps out there, especially considering the price one could buy a used one for. However, I currently reside in Tubesville, and I can't see any going back to SS for me. I know enough to never say never though.....

Cheers,
John
I used, an old but upgraded, threshold NS-10 with my Mccormack DNA 125 and Thiel speakers, very nice. They come up on the Gon once in awhile usually in the 450 to 700 range. With the Thiels a very good combo.
No doubt the Threshold NS 10 remains as one of the finest preamps ever produced. It is of such empirical design, that no one has ever copied or ripped off the NS 10, not even the Chinese, which are ripping off many older designs now and maketing them as the new holy grail. Over the years I have had three or more of the NS 10 come through here and each time I am just astounded at the execution and sonics of the NS 10. This was Nelson Pass first preamp and he clearly put forth a timeless product that has more than withstood the test of time. On the diy site, there are many hobbyist that discuss the upgrades and modifications of the NS 10 and from time to time Nelson Pass chimes in to give deeper insight to the NS 10.
Sbank,

Yes, I did discuss the problem with both Steve and Kris at SMC, and they had me do a couple of tests on the amp. We pretty much concluded it wasn't any fault of the amp, but neither could put their finger on it (it was recently upgraded by them, and they didn't hear any sound issues when they had it).

It has been a long time since I have had a different amplifier in my system, but I bet the low sensitivity of the McCormack has something to do with it.