some 70's and 80's receivers seem to be popular

Is this just nostalgia? I thought the concensus was that even the best solid state during that era was harsh and hard to listen to for long. That is certainly my memory. I almost quit listening to the stereo back then, until I got tube amplification and realized what the problem had been (well, having been suckered into switching to cd's was also part of it). But now some of that equipment seems to attract fans and bidders. Are they just dreaming?
128x128lloydc
The brands mentioned above were/are very good.

I've owned Tandberg and Yamaha in recent years and both have delivered the sonic goods in my second, two channel A/V system.

The Advent 300 was another very good sounding though finicky piece.
If you do find a good-sounding vintage receiver, i.e Marantz 22xx series, if it is original and never been serviced, I highly recommend you take it to a good Tech and have them upgrade(replace) certain caps and give it a thorough cleaning and bench test. Most caps that are 20 years and older could possibly be leaking and/or on their way out. This will give you not only peace of mind but a better sounding receiver with many more years of happy listening.
The Nakamichi 730 was very good as was the Audio Pro 150.I had both. The Tandbergs would be the ones I would look for as they were more plentiful. Pioneer 1280 and 1980 ( I think there were the numbers) were very powerful and had a good amp section. Sansui made some good integrated amps in this period, as did Luxman
Just heard a Sansui 5000 on a pair of Vandersteen series 1,I think they were.Really good sound.....
The very early Yamahas (early/mid 70s) were excellent for their time. I don't know how they would stack up today, though.