New McIntosh system problem... need advice

I've just assembled a new Mcintosh system consisting of a C220 and and MC352. I was replacing my old Arcam alpha 7 integrated amp, which has served me well, in preparation for upgrading my B&W DM602 speakers to something larger (probably B&W 703 or 804). I have kept my Arcam alpha 9 CDP.

My problem is that I don't feel the extra $6000 of amplification has actually improved my sound. The midrange, and especially low-range frequencies definitely have more weight and richness, but the higher frequencies are really lacking. In comparison with my Arcam amp, there is very little detail or clarity in the highs. This deficit is as dramatic as the improvements in the lows.

Does anyone think think this is typical? Is this the "tube sound?" I'm using the same cables when I A/B with the Arcam amp, so it's hard to imagine the problem lies there. Could I have defective gear? I bought it gently used, so I can't really exchange it. I would love to get some input on others' experience with these components, and also advice on which of the two amps might be more responsible for the problem.

Thanks!
marleysf
It should be. No power conditioners. Also if you have a source with a volume control or passive volume control,I would try a the signal direct into the amp, skipping the c220. I have an MC402, which is very similar to yours, and it sounds great, no problem with the highs.
I too owned the C220 and MC352 combination with B&W speakers. I love the musicality of McIntosh equipment but wasn't hearing quite enough detail / clarity for my taste. My solution was to upgrade to the C2300 pre-amp, and I now couldn't be happier.
Wow, lots of great advice. Thanks! I'll definitely look into some new tubes. The previous owner estimated less than 200 hrs on the c220, so I didn't think about it, but who knows. It's true, I'm definitely used to a more detailed sound from the Arcam, even though I can now see other things I was missing. I do have a B&W subwoofer hooked up, too, so I can appreciate the added low-end I'm getting. Does anyone have suggestions for other preamps that might pair well with the MC352 in terms of extending the highs and brightening it up a little?

Thanks
Marleysf
(note the username change)
Solid state Mcintosh would be the next logical step in that direction. C45 or something in recent years. The tube sound I think is what you are getting aquainted with. I would just give it time. After all the thing that we "audiophilaic inflicted" usually want is,different sound.
Give it time and you may end up adjusting and realizing you like it better. If not as mentioned you should beable to recapture most of your investment with Mcintosh.