Life without a remote

I am considering a pre-amp that has no remote. As I sit here listening to music, I have adjusted the volume multiple times in just the last few minutes. I adjust so I can pretend I'm listening to my wife when she tries to talk to me. I adjust for different songs. I adjust in the middle of a song. I tweak to get just the right level from my listening spot.

So for those of you that don't have a remote or don't use one - how do you do it? Is there an adjustment period? Is listening more enjoyable because you can't easily play with the volume?
maineiac
About 14 years ago, I was in a local store listening to some ML gear with Watt3/2 Puppies. The co-owner gave me the remote and left. I inadvertantly hit something that had the volume ramping up quickly. The owner dove for the amp power switch and my heart was laying beside me on the floor. Don't need no remote...except for the TV.
After some thought, my $.02

Getting the right total system needs no remote.

Some system needs up/down sound. If you get it right, one sound is all you need for most stuff. It sounds 'right'. Need more, turn it up. Most of the time I doubt I move it more than 15-20%.

Best with tubes and analogue source. It's all there. Turning it up with some system doesn't make it better or 'more'. My humble opinion. Soft sound with soul can be really cool.

Cheers,

RW
Well the last couple of days I have been experimenting to find exactly what life would be without a remote. It was more difficult at first as I would automatically turn for the remote much more often than I realized. After I got used to not having a volume control at my side I became much more attentive when setting the sound level when I dropped the needle. Of particular note I found that during quiet passages I wanted to really turn up the volume only to turn it down when the music got loud again. As has been pointed out, I was effectively defeating part of what was being conveyed.

I believe the toughest part would be dealing with outside factors (family members wanting to say something, phone ringing, etc.).

Thanks again for all of the interesting input.
Life without a remote..
..is akin to leaving home without cellphone nowadays. While you can certainly 'adjust' to live without it, why deprive from the comfort and convenience of having one?