Confused...not satisfy with my system :

Hi all,

I have Sonus Faber EXTREMA ,
AMP:Meridian 557 .
PRE:Meridian 502.

I sold my CD ARCAM A9 - I loved this CD with my previous system ( Was ARCAM ALPHA8R with SF Concerto) ,The sound was warm and detailed.

Right now the sound is realistic and deep but not exciting... The mid is great The bass is OK but not kicking.
I think the speakers should stay but not sure for the AMP and the PRE .

I thought to change to Tube or hybrid , I tried the Unison Research - Unico Secondo.
The sound was kinda better but the MID is away too high and a bit annoying so it's not that better alternative.
Some suggesting to add another 557 cause the EXTREMA are really hard ...but I don't feel the AMP is not pushing them well.Maybe not pushing them right ( matter of taste of course).

I have a chance to buy Tube AMP Conrad-Johnson MV60 instead of the 557 (the 502 will stay).

or I should i look for other PRE?

Really confusing situation cause I can't really point on the weak chain .

please advice
avico
Avico,
Sorry it's still not clear, are you using the Arcam player with your new system, or do you have a new player you haven't mentioned? If you are still using the Arcam your new higher rez gear may be bringing out it's limitations. Upgrading a source is always a good idea, consider that. I have to agree with Jaybo though, the c-j MV-60 and your Extremas should sound amazing! Of course I'm a tube man all the way. Whatever you decide to do, have fun!
You didn't mention what kind of powercords you are using but I've found that powercords make the single most significant improvement in sound, without changing components. Speaker cables and interconnects are important as well but if you have decent cables, then I would look at the powercords. Particularly something in the fusion, shunyata or purist line.
Rkayeת
I don't think I be able to do some extreme changes like bypass the Crossover and add a external crossover... or make any physical change to the speakers itself ,I trust SF and far as i understand the crossover in the Extrema is well design .
I just read in the forum that the MV60 is not recommeneded for hard speakers.
The feeling I get from the 557 (or maybe it's the PRE ...)
that it's not that romantic sound ,not sure the AMP not have sufficient power it just "not it".
Joeabrams
The cable speaker I use is Audioquest, don't remember the specific model but I checked with SF before and the recommendation I got that Audioquest one of the Not flexable cable should be good enough.
I'm not that big fan of Cable ,I believe it should be good but really don't think it must be pricey.
Jond
Right now I don't have a CD , I sold the Arcam (and I regret),the Alpha9 is awesome cd,
In general I a big fan of the Arcam sound - in particular the old Alpha ones....funny that Arcam i had is 10 times cheaper than amplification im having now , But really feel It's not it.
I tried meridian 508 , 506, sorry but I something in Meiridan are not my taste ... It's "Fat" sound and very detailed but NOT exciting with warm and sweetness .
Eee3
Sorry buddy but for my ears power cable is not making any difference,

So frustrated:(...I spent a lot if money and time but feel like I can't enjoy my Stereo system.
I thought about starting from scratch...
but it such wasted of money,I thought maybe changing the PRE ,people always telling me the things that bothers me is in the PRE.
If you don't have a CD player now, what source are you comparing against your old system with Arcam CD player?

FWIW, Meridian is famous for its DAC and CD player, not for the amps. I used to own G68XXV and it was fabulous.

It takes a lot of time and effort to get the system to the level one can enjoy. All the components in the chain will affect the sound. You should really change one component at a time, otherwise you won't know what positive effects came from which component.

Is there a reason you didn't get a CD player? To me it looks rather obvious that what you are missing is a good CD player, not a replacement amp.
I have a client who has the Sonus Faber EXTREMA and I set him up with a DeHavilland UltraVerve Preamp and NuFORCE Ref 9v2 monobloc and he is in heaven.