Holographic imaging

Hi folks, is the so called holographic imaging with many tube amplifiers an artifact? With solid state one only hears "holographic imaging" if that is in the recording, but with many tube amps you can hear it all the time. So solid state fails in this department? Or are those tube amps not telling the truth?

Chris
dazzdax
By the way, I agree with Tvad.

As long you like what you hear, it really doesn't matter what other people think is best.

If you think flat is more real, then more power to you.

Personally, I'd rather deceive myself into thinking I can do better since I've been given an additional dimension to play with, but then again I also like Pro Wrestling.
"You would agree that the act of moving away from a sound source makes the frequency/pitch appear lower?"

No doubt.

I need to think about the volume knob analogy some more though since that would seem more relevant. I'm thinking Roger paul is right on this one though....

We may be entering the Twilight Zone....where's Rod Serling?
Roger, I have many times had test tones being played through loudspeakers with microphones and frequency counters in use- never in the years of working in and out of the recording studio have I ever observed a connection between gain and pitch as you assert, nor have I until now, known anyone to make such an assertion. How have you measured this effect to prove or disprove your hypothesis and add what outcomes does it suggest?

I have also been able to alter the speed of the amplifier circuit (speed in this case being equal to slew rate) and again seen no measurable effect on pitch. How were you able to test your hypothesis in these conditions?

For a given change in gain, say 20 db, how much change in pitch will be measured?

So- how do you measure Doppler effect in an amplifier?
What is the unit of measure? What test equipment do you use for this? How much DE is reduced by your circuit?

Guitar and synthesizer players often use a tuning device that mutes the output of the guitar so the musician can tune the instrument silently, then after that, regardless of volume, the pitch will be found to be in tune. This does not seem to matter whether there are tube or transistor amps in the signal chain.

IME again, I have found that the measurable propagation delay in an amplifier circuit does not change with the input level. How do you square this with your hypothesis? Do you have a different meaning for the word 'speed'? If so, could you define it?

Again IME by changing the volume in my system, I've never experienced a change in the soundstage perspective- that of being in the 10th row as opposed to the 2nd row for example. I would describe sound as seeming the same 'distance' away, just not as loud -certainly not a change in perspective! Does your hypothesis support exceptions or does it predict that the experience of perspective is universal?

Since when listening I am usually seated, why exactly should I care if there is Doppler effect if I move? In a real life situation, would you not also experience Doppler? It seems to me that you would want to preserve the Doppler effects of real life music. What am I missing?
I have noticed that sometimes when I increase the volume level, besides the sound getting louder, the soundstage seems to get bigger. Despite what might appear to be an obvious deduction, I don't necessarily get the impression that I am actually closer.
Post removed