Tone controls- to use or not?

Thanks to years of playing in bands, and more recently working in a noisy environment, I've come to the sad realisation that my 40-year old ears no longer have their original upper frequency response. Adding a bit of "treble" on my amp's tone controls helps, but I'm normally loathe to use these controls.

Should I be looking at changing my setup to incorporate "brighter" sounding components, or is adding a little treble with the tone controls legitimate?

My system is a Cambridge 640C player, NAD c720 stereo receiver (based on c320 amp) and B&W DM602 speakers, Monster cable IC's and heavy guage "Kordz" (Australian) copper speaker wires.
carl109
Atmasphere...The Behringer DEQ2496 does its equalization in a DSP chip, and the EQ function (or any of the other functions) can be bypassed. If that isn't good enough just turn off the power and you get a hard bypass (input connected to output).
Eldartford, I have yet to hear a Behringer that I'd want to put in my system! All of them I have heard so far are easily surpassed by other manufacturers for not a lot of extra money. My impression so far is that they target the entry-level semi-pro market. Is that impression incorrect?
Atmasphere...Behringer makes many pieces of equipment. For some I agree with you, but in some cases it is sour grapes. But have you heard the DEQ2496? I hear no bad effect of having it in the loop, and it greatly improves the overall sound by compensating room effects. Furthermore, it's worth the price just for the spectrum analyser. I suggest that people buy it for that feature (to help with room treatment and speaker placement) and let them come to their own conclusion about leaving it in the loop for listening.
I recently got a deq 2496. Using it I hear after room eq better bass definition, a wider soundstage, more depth, more air. I am astoniched. When I take it out of the loop the sound collapses back into the speakers. I havent had tone controls for 25 years and here I am using and enjoying a very sophisticated one.
Ralph and MR E- I've purchased 8024's and 2496's for a number of venues over the years. As far as inexpensive auto-EQs for live sound: They do for a cheap, fast curve. Much more convenient than the old Ivey! I've got one in my listening room to check my response on occasion. Yes- There is a sonic price to pay with it in the system, so- It's not. It resides across the room, on a shelf and use one of a number of pink noise records/CDs that I own. Mr E is correct in that another 61 band RTA cannot be found for the money(makes it worthwhile). Too bad Behringer(or anyone else) doesn't offer an inexpensive mic that is accurate between 16 and 100Hz.