Genuine Telefunken?

The last few years I have really enjoyed the exceptional sound of my tube audio equipment. After reading as much as possible on the net about " NOS " tubes, have narrowed it down to Telefunken 12AX7 and 12AU7 for my Jadis DPL preamp, but now I am really confused and can't believe all the fake ones being passed on for the authentic tubes. I have three questions! 1.) What exactly should I look for on genuine Telefunkens of these #'s, should they all have gold pins? 2.)Is it possible to stumble upon a genuine NOS Telefunken 12AX7? and 3.) Is it just a matter of preference of smooth plate verses ribbed plate? Or is one better than the other? I am new to experimenting with tubes and would love any opinions or comments. Maybe I should just consider a used tube being they have such a long long life. Thanks, Deb
noguerol
I don't know if the conterfeiters have managed to get the embossed emblem right, but,on the bottom of real Telefunkens should be their diamond symbol that is actually part of the glass pressing (raised surface) and not painted or etched into the glass.

The ones I really like are marked ECC 803D (12AX7 equivalent). They may sound a bit lean and bright in some applications, but, I have never heard a tube with greater clarity and detail. Unfortunately, they are super expensive (though, I've been told, they will last a very long time).
Oops, I think they are marked 803 S. Sorry, I haven't pulled them from my phono stage in a LONG time.
A tad off the subject...but try vintage Mullard long plate /square getters if you can find and afford them..the perfect combo for the Jadis pre IMO...Tele tubes sound thin and brittle in that pre compared to these...or the Mullard 7025,more gain but still fluid
Yes, it is the diamond mark that prooves they are genuine. I have never seen it on any other tube. Labeling is delicate and can rub off with very little handling. The smoothe and ribbed do not sound the same. Both are great, but it is a matter of personal preference. I feel the ribbed plates have a slightly sharper,tighter, more precise sound. Sort of like a robust version of Amperex's Bugle Boys which is another great 12AX7 to consider. Once I had a smoothe and a ribbed plate in opposite channels of a phono preamp and the sound was amazing despite being a no-no of unmatched tubes.
Be very careful!!.....My friend spent five hundred dollars(for three tubes),for his phono section.They sounded drab,thin and basically horrible.

As it turns out,they were "fakes".

He has since replaced them with superb Siemens CCa's,but he got excellent results with the Mullards,Amperex,and very fine results with the Ediswan 6922 tubes.

I've had all of the above(for phono section)except the TELE(fortunately).

I am currently thinking about the Pinched Waiste Amperex 6922's,which might be available to me(very good ones)....

Not to hijack the thread,but(aside from what I've read,in Joe's Tube Lore)does anyone have experience,or a good opinion on the PW's?

Best to all