Can a preamp's gain be lowered?

I'd like to lower the gain of an AE-3 DJH preamp to something in the neighborhood of 10 dB. Is it possible to do this without adversely affecting the sound?

My ASL amps have an input sensitivity of 1.0 v. I want to have good volume control over low listening levels. I'm afraid any preamp with more than 10 dB will force me to stay under 9 o'clock on the volume knob.
mingles
Ask them what to do. They really will help if you call and they will recommend what mod to do inside the chassis if you want to do it. They are a bit slow on emails, but are a great source of knowledge if you call.
I just bought a pair of Rothwell attenuators with -10 dB which is perfect for my situation. I think it's the right thing to do given that I can change the attenuation myself at any point in time. Thanks again, Mark
Mboldda1, I recently bought the Goldenjack attenuators from Iain in the UK (the -14dB version), and they allowed me to do away with my preamp and the set of ICs. They are very transparent, and allowed me to maximize the use of my DACT attenuator on my CDP. Highly recommended!