Audio Research SP16 annoying volume control

I have recently added a Audio Research SP16, the most annoying thing is the volume control.
The volume steps are not well calibrated and is either too quiet or too loud, there's not subtle ajustments, the volume just jumps to loud.
I have heard great things about Audio Research but I never expected this sort of design flaw on such an expensive piece of equipment. I am not happy at all.
Any other SP16 owners have this problem?
kingmonkey88
Audio Research has a taper volume kit...or whatever they call it. It allows more steps at lower range so it doesn't get too loud too quick. And you can reduce gain of this preamp. Call ARC and talk to them. Reducing gain will solve that issue. It may also have a positive effect on overall noise floor of the preamp, have smoother highs and less forward mids, but at a possible expense of overall bass drive. bass may become a bit softer.

Mating a preamp with an amp, you need to consider several things, such as gain of preamp, gain of amp, amp sensitivity, preamp output impedance, amp input impedance.

What you're experiencing is not unusual. it isn't a design flaw of an ARC preamp. It's a simple mismatch between your preamp and your amp.
Hello Elberoth2
Yes its happening at the lower part of the scale, the volume increments seems to be one press, then 2 press, then 3 presses but its already loud at around the 3rd or 4th light.
I think the further up the scale then there are 4 presses to each light increment.
At the moment I am not using a ARC amp, so maybe its a mismatch of the gain of the amp or CD as Audphile1 points out.
But there are serveral reports from other users that the volume on the SP16 is not very adjustable at the lower volumes.
It just seems to me as a way to differentiate between the more expensive ARC gear, they have dumbed down the functionality which to me seems very stupid as they have marred what is otherwise a great piece of equipment.