Integrated amp with phono section for Totem Arro

Hello, gang,

I've been doing research on the following topic already, and I beg your indulgence if this topic has been beaten to death! :-)

In about a week, I should be the proud owner of a brand-new pair of Totem Arro speakers! :-)

Most of the rest of my system comes from the mid-1980s. This includes my amplifier, a PS Audio Elite Plus integrated amp, solid-state, of course, with 70 W per channel. I have assurances from PS Audio that this amplifier should, in theory, have no trouble driving the Arro, which presents a load of 4 ohms. What I'm wondering, however, it is since the Arro is, from everything I've heard, a VERY revealing little speaker, I'm concerned in advance what I ought to do for amplification if the Elite Plus turns out to sound harsh when paired with the Arro.

What I need, then, would be a much more modern, integrated amplifier, including a phono stage, because my main analog source is a SOTA Sapphire turntable.

I'd be looking at something that I could pick up for, say, $700 or less. Something used would be okay.

All suggestions welcome! :-)
rebbi
Yeah, shorten up those Monsters first and get good ICs for the CDP and TT next. I prefer Anaylsis Plus for great performance vs. value. If you can't spend that much, then Kimber or Audioquest are good compromises. (Forget about Monster).

Down the road you'll probably be amazed if you'd spend as much on speaker cable as you spent on the amp. Really, the improvement would be huge, but save that for down the road.

Dave
Friends,

Anybody heard the Arro's with JoLida tube equipment like the 302b? I could've sworn I read here somewhere that Jolida with the Arro was a very sweet combination, but I can't find the reference now. I know I'd need to add a phono stage... I'm just very curious.

Thanks!
rebbi, arro & 302b is way to go for your budget.

As a CURRENT owner of Arros for 5 years+ and having matched with 302b and other tube & SS amps, I can confidently recommend this combo.

Email me if you have more questions.
The Arro is a great speaker choice for under $1K.

Listen to your Arro first and be patient. It will take a while to break them in (common issue with Totem and Dynaudio speakers) before they could sound their best. See if you are content with the sound that your current amp, CDP, and the Arro produce. If you are, do not waste your money to upgrade your electronics until the PS integrated breaks down which I don't think that will not happen any time soon.

Totem has recommended Rega integrated and Rega Apollo with the Arro, a very popular combo in Europe. But of course, Naim 5I and Naim CDP will be significantly better than the Rega combo.

You would have to spend 2 or 3 times more if you want a better CDP than your current Music Hall. The local Totem and Dynaudio dealers in my area have recommended the Music Hall if your budget for a CDP is around $600.

Better interconnect say Monster or AudioQuest helps but do not spend more than $70 per pair. That was my Totem dealer's recommendation.

On the other hand, the speaker cable upgrade is worth the $$ but do not go over the $1K mark. Unless, you can print money faster than you can spend.

Enjoy.
PS Audio was sort of ahead of the curve. There were some smooth and musical solid state amps in the '80s, and PS Audio stood out as one such. I have an Amber Series 70 power amp and it's another example. I think hanging tight with what you have is a good idea.

Since the Arros are bi-wirable/bi-ampable, if you find you need more power, find another '80s-era PS Audio amp. They should be pretty inexpensive by now. Then, for the price of one used amp you could bi-amp and double your power to each speaker.

In fact, here's a same-era 70 wpc PS Audio amp with a BIN of $200.