Integrated amp with phono section for Totem Arro

Hello, gang,

I've been doing research on the following topic already, and I beg your indulgence if this topic has been beaten to death! :-)

In about a week, I should be the proud owner of a brand-new pair of Totem Arro speakers! :-)

Most of the rest of my system comes from the mid-1980s. This includes my amplifier, a PS Audio Elite Plus integrated amp, solid-state, of course, with 70 W per channel. I have assurances from PS Audio that this amplifier should, in theory, have no trouble driving the Arro, which presents a load of 4 ohms. What I'm wondering, however, it is since the Arro is, from everything I've heard, a VERY revealing little speaker, I'm concerned in advance what I ought to do for amplification if the Elite Plus turns out to sound harsh when paired with the Arro.

What I need, then, would be a much more modern, integrated amplifier, including a phono stage, because my main analog source is a SOTA Sapphire turntable.

I'd be looking at something that I could pick up for, say, $700 or less. Something used would be okay.

All suggestions welcome! :-)
rebbi
Dave,

Thank you very much for the what impresses me as sound advice (ouch, sorry for the unintentional pun). I just now looked on the FAQ at totemacoustic.com and they recommend at least 100 to 150 hours of break in time (wow) for the Arro, along with an integrated amp of at least 40 watts, so actually, I ought to be in good shape.

The CD player is a brand new Music Hall CD25.2... not the creme de la creme of what's out there, but supposedly a very good player.

Cabling will be an issue for sure. I have large lengths of old Monster Cable Powerline 2 speaker cable from when I had my old Vandersteen 2C's bi-wired. Do you think I should just get them reterminated at shorter lengths and try them out while breaking the new speakers in, or should I get some new speaker cable off the bat?

The CD player comes with really cheap looking interconnects, but I have a pair of better Monster Cable interconnects from the old system that I'll start off using.

Beyond that, the main thing I'll be dealing with is the turntable, which is at SOTA right now being inspected. They'll be making recommendations for tune-up and possible upgrades. I'll be needing a new cartridge (there's a 20 year old Audioquest on that arm!) and the Linn Basik arm could probably use an upgrade but I may wait on that.

Thanks!
The PS should be fine - like Dave said, sit with it for a while. Get used to the speakers, let them break in...

I would not suggest going crazy on cables, but after a while look into a solid state Naim Nait or a Unison Reasearch hybrid. Otherwise, go tubes...
Yeah, shorten up those Monsters first and get good ICs for the CDP and TT next. I prefer Anaylsis Plus for great performance vs. value. If you can't spend that much, then Kimber or Audioquest are good compromises. (Forget about Monster).

Down the road you'll probably be amazed if you'd spend as much on speaker cable as you spent on the amp. Really, the improvement would be huge, but save that for down the road.

Dave
Friends,

Anybody heard the Arro's with JoLida tube equipment like the 302b? I could've sworn I read here somewhere that Jolida with the Arro was a very sweet combination, but I can't find the reference now. I know I'd need to add a phono stage... I'm just very curious.

Thanks!
rebbi, arro & 302b is way to go for your budget.

As a CURRENT owner of Arros for 5 years+ and having matched with 302b and other tube & SS amps, I can confidently recommend this combo.

Email me if you have more questions.