Is there a killer preamp for 1500?

I'm looking for the best preamp I can get for $1500 or less. I like tubes, but will consider SS if there's a compelling reason. I've been using passive preamps for the past year and really appreciate their transparency, openness and silence. I'm looking for similar qualities in your recommendation.

More than likely, I'll be buying used. Phono stage is unnecessary. Remote volume would be nice, but it's not a deal breaker. Amps are Antique Sound Lab AQ1008. Input impedance 100k. Input sensitivity 1v. Speakers are Alon Model V.

Any thoughts on the usual suspects?

Modwright
AI Mod3A
Rogue 99
VTL 5.5
BAT VK-3I

Thanks for your help!
mingles
I have been very happy with a Belles 21A pre, and I upgraded it with the Auricap upgrade.

A tube pre with the detail of ss...
Promitheus Audio TVC Dual Box passive preamp at about $800-$900 is the absolute " Killer ". I simplly don't know of anything better for that kind of money. There are few reports from the press but what you need to read is the experiances from the users on AC forum. Those are in regards to the older version of TVC preamp. But it is this new all out , statment piece that you want to get. It can be also ordered with parts of your choice as well as ins and outs...that being RCAs or Balance. What is even more interesting - their new four of five channel passive preamp for SACD of HT.....This is the one I am getting to complement my stereo rig. It also can be build to your specifications and taste. Unbelievable value and performance. I can not see how someone could go wrong with TVC as it is simplly stuning. It is one of those secrets that no one is talking about........but cat is out of the bag , so just enjoy and be prepered for the ride of your life. And don't forget to fasten your seat belts.

Happy listening and enjoy the music

Mariusz
Audio Mirror PP1 or Joule Electra LA-100 Mk3 research both of them. I have the Audio Mirror was going to buy the Joule. I went with the PP1 because it was less money.
Look at the Coda on agon and save yourself a few hundred in the meantime and also you will have a fantastic pre with remote.