Replace my Berning ZH-270?

Hi,

I have a Joule LA150 MkII preamp and a Dave Berning ZH-270 running into a pair of Merlin VSM Mx speakers.

Could I poll some views on a theoretical question: if I were to keep my preamp, what power amps do you think I should consider to pair with my LA150? Or are there any members here who have done this move and if so what amps did you buy and why??

All the best,

MontyW
montywoo
I would agree with Oneprof that your prerequisites sound exactly like what the Berning does best.

I've never heard the big CAT amp but, for the price, I would expect it to do very well. I have had the M60 atma amps and heard the MA1's and VTL 450's (latest version is very nice) but for the price, weight, heat, and sonics the Berning is very hard to beat.

The bass on the Berning would rival most on the list above.

Enjoy the chase, I switch between the 110lb Wyetech Topaz and 10lb Berning, each has its own attributes.

Nkj
There is a thread somewhere by SBank who made the move from Berning to Atmasphere. I think that thread pretty well covers the pluses and minuses of the Berning versus some of the obvious candidates (CAT, Joule, and Atmasphere)for working well with the Merlins. On ergonomics alone (not meant in any way to diminish its sonic achievements) the Berning is the easiest way to own a tube amp with minimal fuss and bother. I do think that you will find a move to one of the three amps mentioned and sonic step forward. Of course I know nothing of the new mega-buck Berning, that too may be a consideration.
Hi,

Thanks for all the replies. Oneprof and Nkj - I do like my Berning, but have been toying with the idea of a change; you know how it is always looking for something 'better'!

If I could build upon the Berning signature sound with a little more 'richness' without it becoming warm, then I think I would have my ideal amp.

Monoblocking a 270 sounds like a great idea, but you rarely see 270's for sale.

I will search for the thread by SBank and have look to see what he found from Atmasphere amps.

Cheers,

Monty
Just a couple things to check, if your attenuator clicks when you turn it, make sure your attenuator is set to about 4pm when using a pre-amp, the manual says 12 or 1 but that's for the unit that does not click when you turn it.

Also, carefully look at your input tubes, be careful of too many Telefunkens or Siemens, they can be on the lean side, look at cableing as well, silver is not where you want to be with this set up, nor unshielded IC's

The ZH-270 is DC coupled, so bass cannot be matched by any transformer coupled amp.

But if change is what you want, drop me a note privately, I'll be more than happy to buy your amp :)
Just a brief correction to the previous post regarding silver wire.

Not all silver is hard or etchy just as not all copper is soft and rounded.

The actual determinants of cable "tone" are far more a factor of conductor purity, conductor geometry, and dielectric configuration/composition.

It is an old wives' tale that silver is grainy, hard, lean, or etchy.